Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that's not even respect for land, it's respect for property rights. I've got 4 subdivisions around me now that weren't here 32 years ago. City folks "move to the country" in them and then they just let Fido roam. "Hey, we're in the country now."

What they don't know is that once Fido is out of a sight, he forms up with pack and can cause holy hell for farmers.

It was a pleasant morning when I came out to leave for work. Then I heard the screaming. Four dogs had one of my goats down in. the barn. They'd already killed 8, but that wasn't enough, They were tormenting this poor nanny after having broken her leg. One of the dogs was a pup. They were fortunate I didn't stop to get my gun before running to the barn. They'd dug under my solid net wire fence. A nice day at work turned into a day of shooting that goat, then burying all 9 of them, then PTSD.

I once saw 2 Dacshunds running my cow herd ragged. I knew which neighbor owned those dogs, so I rounded them up and brought them to her door, one under each arm. "Ma'am," I said, "I'm bringing these back this time, but next time they run my cattle you won't ever see them again." End of problem.

Ever since that goat killing at my place, I practice the Triple S --- Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.

I never did find out whose this one was...

View attachment 96537
We have the same issues here. I asked one guy who he thought owned the land he was on (me), and he responded with 'the forest owns it". I told him to get off and don't come back. And farmers around he have been known to shoot roaming dogs and cats. The animal control folks say to treat them as any other wild animal. It's unfortunate that the owners and idiots. The animals are just doing what comes natural. Dig the hole, fill, and put a brush pile on it.

I assume that is a sardonic comment, Jim. I did not say anything about "conspiracy." I don't know the formula they use for measuring "inflation." In any case, it is only a number. What is really important to people is the money they have to spend. In my simplistic way of looking at it, I consider the price of essentials such as gas, food, clothing, utilities and shelter, and not the items bought with disposable income. I do most of the shopping for food in our family and I know that the prices of many foods are up 40% or more. Gasoline is up over 50%, interest rates and rent have spiked, etc. These do not portend an inflation rate of 8-9%.

Regarding unemployment, not counting people as unemployed who are not actively looking for a job is very convenient. By that "logic", if everyone stopped looking for work, our unemployment rate would be 0%. People who are getting government assistance that exceeds what they could earn on the job, without doing anything are unlikely to take jobs that pay the same amount or even a little more.
I was at the store the other day and a lady was complaining about the price of eggs, so I explained about bird flu and the millions of chickens that have been killed thus removing them from the egg laying process and she was amazed, never heard anything about it. Just blamed “them” for causing her pain. The general level of ignorance in this country is scaring the shit out of me.

And that's not even respect for land, it's respect for property rights. I've got 4 subdivisions around me now that weren't here 32 years ago. City folks "move to the country" in them and then they just let Fido roam. "Hey, we're in the country now."

What they don't know is that once Fido is out of a sight, he forms up with pack and can cause holy hell for farmers.

It was a pleasant morning when I came out to leave for work. Then I heard the screaming. Four dogs had one of my goats down in. the barn. They'd already killed 8, but that wasn't enough, They were tormenting this poor nanny after having broken her leg. One of the dogs was a pup. They were fortunate I didn't stop to get my gun before running to the barn. They'd dug under my solid net wire fence. A nice day at work turned into a day of shooting that goat, then burying all 9 of them, then PTSD.

I once saw 2 Dacshunds running my cow herd ragged. I knew which neighbor owned those dogs, so I rounded them up and brought them to her door, one under each arm. "Ma'am," I said, "I'm bringing these back this time, but next time they run my cattle you won't ever see them again." End of problem.

Ever since that goat killing at my place, I practice the Triple S --- Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.

I never did find out whose this one was...

View attachment 96537
My neighbors let their two Great Danes run wild, after we caught them on camera I talked to him and said anyone hunting on my property has permission to shoot his dogs. Now they are behind a fence. If I had your problem I’d be shooting as well.

I was at the store the other day and a lady was complaining about the price of eggs, so I explained about bird flu and the millions of chickens that have been killed thus removing them from the egg laying process and she was amazed, never heard anything about it. Just blamed “them” for causing her pain. The general level of ignorance in this country is scaring the shit out of me.
...and the general level of naiveté is scaring the shit out of me. There does not seem to be any shortage of eggs, indeed the cooler is as full as it has ever been. When I questioned a manager about the price increase, there was no mention of "bird flu" but he did mention the 2x increase in diesel fuel and the difficulty in getting deliveries due to that. It may be my cynical nature, but I attribute at least a portion of the price increases we are seeing to a. greed and b. "get well" (by which I mean companies which have had bad quarters or years are making up lost ground).

Latest posts

Back