Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm shopping for a new washer/dryer...

My father has the fridge from when I was a child down in his basement. That refrigerator is at least 65 years old, probably more. My wife and I bought a fancy new washer and dryer a few years ago, the washer crapped our at about 3 year mark. We had a repair man come. I asked him what I should buy, he said buy the cheap one, I never work on them, they don't have fancy settings and electronics, they just work. So we have a washing machine with about 6 settings on a manual know and a dryer to match. We are on about 6 years old for those two now.

I asked him what I should buy, he said buy the cheap one, I never work on them, they don't have fancy settings and electronics, they just work.
I know just what you mean. We bought a top-rated Jennair gas range a few years back. After about two years, the igniter crapped out and it cost me $135 to fix it. About a year ago, the igniter crapped out again and I am using a long BIC lighter to light the burners. It is a matter of principle with me, and I refuse to call a serviceman to fix it. Every time I use the BIC, it is a small victory over "built in obsolescence." From now on, if I need to replace an appliance, I will buy a commodity grade unit.

We had an old Maytag washer that was decades old. Bought it used with matching dryer for maybe $150. About 4 years my wife decides that the washer doesn't have enough volume or enough features, so she pushes to replace it with a new high volume Samsung. Ok so far, but we traded a gearbox built for a dump truck for one built for a lego set. I'm sure it will be a matter of time before it has issues.

We had an old Maytag washer that was decades old. Bought it used with matching dryer for maybe $150. About 4 years my wife decides that the washer doesn't have enough volume or enough features, so she pushes to replace it with a new high volume Samsung. Ok so far, but we traded a gearbox built for a dump truck for one built for a lego set. I'm sure it will be a matter of time before it has issues.
Funny, but that fancy digital display has trouble codes it flashes when something is wrong. Used to be you lifted the lid put it back down to get the old machine going again.

My father has the fridge from when I was a child down in his basement. That refrigerator is at least 65 years old, probably more. My wife and I bought a fancy new washer and dryer a few years ago, the washer crapped our at about 3 year mark. We had a repair man come. I asked him what I should buy, he said buy the cheap one, I never work on them, they don't have fancy settings and electronics, they just work. So we have a washing machine with about 6 settings on a manual know and a dryer to match. We are on about 6 years old for those two now.

My folks' 1958 GE fridge ran until 2004. My MIL used a 1971 Maytag washer and a 1971 Frigidaire refrigerator that had been bought new for the rest of her life. She died in 2010. I keep my beer cold in the farm shop in a 1962 Coke chest cooler that I bought 32 years ago at auction for $25. Next year, that'll be 60 for it.

We started out with a used washer and dryer set (I used to be a part-time appliance repairman and used appliance seller as one of my many hats). When the dryer quit, we replaced it with a new GE. Lasted 3 years. Then the washer quit and we replaced that with a new Maytag. Lasted 3 years. We since have replaced both with foreign brand LG, and those have run and run and run... Going on about 5-6 years now, no worries.

As a former repairman, I can say the pressure is on to put more and more features on machines (who needs cellphone connectivity, I mean really needs it?), yet maintain the price points. That means the actual workings have to be made cheaper and cheaper.

And it won't be just a simple broken gear. It'll be the "MOTHERBOARD"!!! Nothing that $300 or $400 can't fix.:mad:

Latest posts

Back