Other Post 1: You CAN make wine too!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post 2A: Ideal Used Equipment List

So you have decided to go the used equipment route and you want to stay in the $150 range. What should you get for your money?

1 30L Primary Fermenter with lid and hole for bung & air lock
2 23L Glass Carboys (Preferably Italian. Where they are made is typically on the bottom)
3 Air Locks
1 Cap Remover
1 Auto Siphon Tube
1 Siphon Hose with Shut Off clamp
1 Wine Thief
1 Hydrometer
1 Thermometer
1 Plastic Winged Stirrer
1 Bottle Sterilizer
1 Bottle/Carboy Cleaner
1 Bottle Tree
1 Bottle Filler
1 Floor Corker
1 Buon Vino Electric Filter System

For a bit more you may also get

Heat belts
Wine Racks
More Carboys
Chemicals
Auto Bottle Filler

In my area a new Buon Vino Mini Jet costs $130 - $150 by itself. The idea that you can get it and the rest of the equipment you need for $150 isn't a bad deal. The initial used gear that I purchased had a lot of stuff but in truth half of it was not usable and I had to spend more later.

Let me also repeat that the basic starter kit does work but with the equipment I've listed above, it will be easier. The spoon you get with the kit can certainly mix up the wine concentrate and water as well as help you degas the wine. However, if you have a winged stirrer you can attach it to a drill and the let the drill do the work:) Who needs to suck on a hose to start racking the wine when you can pump the Auto Siphon twice and it starts automatically.

In most cases you will not get the entire list but with a bit of patience you can get close. The best deal I have seen is the entire list plus the optional equipment for $225. The other nice thing about getting your equipment this way is that should you decide wine making is not for you, you can sell it for what you bought it for.

With the basic equipment out of the way, we can start discussing what you should make.

Last edited:
pmf2000,

Are you stating that this thread is for no one but your personal friends? This forum is for everyone and every thread is for everyone. As stated you have some very good knowledge and writing an article would be extremely beneficial to everyone.

If you just wanted someplace to post instructions to your friends you should maybe think for something more private.

Take no offense and I agree articles are great, but I would like to point out that this forum is for everyone to use. At some point in time there have been many of us involved in personal discussions inside the forum that did not involve information for all members. As long as we follow the rules, I believe we should proceed as we see fit. I am enjoying this information, and if 3 people benefit from it, that is wonderful. Anyone who is not interested can just ignore new posts in this thread if they so wish. Just my $.02.

While I singled out a couple of people that asked me to do this in the first place, I genuinely hope that other people find value in it. When I first started I wasted a bunch of time and money getting things right. If this information was available when I started, I would have been a little further ahead. I put this in the forum since I thought other people would share their ideas and tips for helping people either get back into making wine or people just starting out. Strangely it seems like it has denigrated into discussing if this thread even worthwhile.

I am only trying to help. You do not have to agree. I still have much more to say!

PMF2000, your statement that you still have much to say is the point.

You're going to great lengths here and it's a shame because your effort could be worthwhile. Doing something good. Instead, your information will not be searchable in a two weeks because you're posting on a forum instead of an article.

The only benefit the way you're doing it is in your ego.

Last edited:
TonyP the forums are searchable for life. You just need to tell the search the time period to look. If you don't find results with a short term search setting, just tell it any date. This is a perfectly good way for people to find this type of information. Let the guy post as he wishes it isn't hurting anything and may turn out to be quite useful.

TonyP the forums are searchable for life. You just need to tell the search the time period to look. If you don't find results with a short term search setting, just tell it any date. This is a perfectly good way for people to find this type of information. Let the guy post as he wishes it isn't hurting anything and may turn out to be quite useful.

I guess I'm being difficult and I'll stop. While his posts are, of course, searchable the reality is you have to know the key words. Someone starting out trying to find out what is needed will not find his post or will find it 10 pages in. If you don't start out by knowing about his post, dates are no help. Changing from a post to an article will make everything easy to find. But, I'm done.

Latest posts

Back