Possible stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFruitWines

Reaction score
I started a 5 gal batch Old Orchard strawberry/kiwi. I added just less than 5 tbsp yeast nutrient. SG 1.12. Pitched 1 pkg Montrachet on 2/14. Took off right away.

2/17 sg 1.082
2/19 sg 1.064
2/21 sg 1.052
2/23 sg 1.052

I think the yeast ran out of nutrient.
Reading thru old posts some recommend repitching and some recommend adding nutrient. I am going to LHBS tomorrow. Should I add nutrient or energizer? If so how much as I still have a way to go? Will the existing yeast restart if I do or will I need another packet? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

1.120 is pretty high, IMO. Are you planning to ferment dry? That would put you at about 17% alc (or better) I think with the high start your yeast might be stressed. And 5 TBsp of nutrient is a bit much. Did you mean tsp?
Others may come on to help you more with this but I would stir well to introduce oxygen. If no change tomorrow make a starter yeast and pitch that . Stir a couple times a day. Hopefully that'll wake it back up but I don't think you'll get it to dry.

U R correct. 5 tsp nutrient. The starting SG was higher than I expected but I will back sweeten with five 12 oz concentrates which will reduce the abv.

PAFruitWines:

You're at about 9%. What temperature is the wine at?

Perhaps you can give the full recipe and process you have followed, in case somebody spots something.

Steve

I've been reading Claude Jolicoeur's fascinating book on cider making (The New Cider Maker's Handbook). When he talks about stuck fermentations he seems to be willing and happy to wait perhaps a month or longer before he calls the fermentation stuck. Although that willingness will depend on the level of alcohol in the wine to inhibit spoilage. Nine percent would seem to be OK.
Things to unstick might include increasing the temperature of the wine, adding DAP, aerating without fear of disturbing the lees. Re-inoculating the wine with yeast is also a possibility but for Joilcouer a slow fermentation is always better than a fast one .
I guess my first thought is what would have caused the yeast to slow their fermentation to a crawl or slower?

Thanks for the replies!
Recipe was simple.
10 cans straw/kiwi
10 lbs sugar
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp tannin
5 campden tabs

Mixed ingredients w/crushed campden. 24hrs later pitched Montrachet. Stirred daily.

The fact that I had a very vigorous fermentation at the beginning leads me to believe it ran out of nutrient. Also I was a little short on nutrient. Temp was low 70's.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1393216228.542649.jpg
I think I screwed up my readings. I stirred this AM and took the reading. Just snapped this pic. Looks like it is still rolling to me.

Never add all your nutrient at once--you should have added half of that dose at the beginning and the second half before the 50% dry stage. Montrachet needs good nutrient support because it produces MUCH H2S when stressed. Is the SG going down now? That's a pretty "quiet" looking ferment for Montrachet, altho I've seen it like that a few times--we use alot of Montrachet.

SG 1.042 this AM. Not sure if it was stalled or if my readings were not accurate. In any case I'm fermenting!

Latest posts

Back