Possible "rotten egg" smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size jug is that? It seems like it will be an odd amount. If it is fermenting vigorously it will probably be alright. Don't give up on it yet. Keep us posted and we can give more help at the appropriate times.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. It's a UK-sized 1 gallon carboy. Yeh, it's bubbling vigourously so I'll just keep it away for a few weeks and see what it does.

Cheers mate.

Usually a wine that is fermenting good does not produce S02, its typically a yeast that is struggling that will do so and its due to malnutrition.

What he means is that if you don't have proper yeast nutrients in your must then the yeast may struggle to ferment, it can cause off flavors. One way to stop that is to use yeast nutrient and yeast energizer when preparing your must.

I have yet to experience the smell of rotten egg (H2S or hydrogen sulfide) or geranium like smells. I'm sure I will get it one day. I think in my limited experience that as long as you have a vigorous or active ferment then you are probably just fine.

How many wines have you made cause every wine will smell different and sometimes it can even smell similar to a rotten egg but most of the time its just the yeast doing its thing. Usually like we said if you have a vigorous fermentation there is no need to worry. What kind of wine is this and what yeast did you use. Red Star Montrachet is notorious for creating this smell but like I said before its usually due to malnutrition and youve said this isnt the case. Can you post the recipe please.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and leave it for a few months to see how it goes. Aye, it's bubbling that much that I might need to keep adding water to the airlock, as the gasses are slowly bubbling the water over the top!

It smells of rotten eggs just a little, so I'm not too bothered about that.

It's apricot wine, and I followed a recipe from a guy called "wykedtube" on Youtube, here's the link: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHsRTECUf8&feature=PlayList&p=8759AB8063C21FA1&index=0&playnext=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHsRTECUf8&feature=PlayList&p=8759AB8063C21FA1&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]and I used standard Young's U Brew Wine yeast I got from the homebrew store.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I'll let you know how it goes!

Hey guys,

Well it's been nearly a month since I last took that picture a few posts back.

However, I've keptthis apricot winealongside my other wines I've got on the go at the moment (Tea + Sultana and Apple - they are coming along just nicely) and it it has stopped fermenting. There is no bubbles coming through the airlock. However, it is clearing up just nicely which I thought it wouldn't do this quick.

Here's a picture of it:
http://www.enterthemystery.com/imgs/DSCF0391.JPG</A>

Should I be worried that the fermentation is coming to a halt?

Thanks.

Last week I decided to top the apicot to the neck of the demijohn. However, I did taste some a few days ago and I think I've diluted it far too much and it seriously lacks body...

20090701_061142_DSCF0458.JPG

Is there anything I can do to salvage it? Or would it be worth just discarding it? I can tell you now, I won't be making another apricot wine in the foreseeable future!

However, my other wines are going fine. Below is Tea &amp; Sultana on the left (it was a nice clear golden colour until the sediment got disturbed by me topping it up to the neck by a pint) and apple wine from juice concentrate on the right.

I'd appreciate your thoughts guys!

20090701_061430_DSCF0459.JPG

Dan

By diluting too much do you mean it has no flavor left cause if this is the cas we can fix that but it will require more fruit or juice. What some of us do is get about 1/3 the amount of the original fruit used to make the batch and simmer it in a pot on medium temp with just a little water until it gets mushy so that you can extract all the juices out of it and let it cool and add it back to a stabilized wine that has had both k-meta and sorbate added so as that it wont start fermenting again. The other option is juice and it is usually cheaper(I get mine from health food stores). I use about 2-3 quarts per 6 gallon batch and reduce them down in a pot till its about 1/3 its size and then do the same as I mentioned with the fruit. Keep the lid off the pot while condensing these so as the water can evaporate.

Yes Wade, there is little flavour, and I think I have also diluted the strength of the abv. I could tip some out as you say, and in fact, is a really good idea, but I am afraid of further diluting the strength?

I measured in my vinometer, and was around the 11%abv mark.

Cheers
Dan

Would it be feasible to add more sugar, and perhaps use a yeast restarter pack to get the fermentation going again, and would this be possible to do straight in the carboy?

Back