Port wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CassieV

Reaction score
I tried port for the 1st time around christmas & really liked it. I was wondering how long it can be open (vacuumed sealed) before it oxidizes?

Two years ago I bought a commercial bottle of port - kind it was ???.
Anyway, I sipped on that same bottle for about a year and didn't notice any oxidation.

At Christmas, a friend of mine gave me a glass of his Tawney port. It was the best I have ever had. Can't remember the name except it was something - "Whiskers"
Now that was really nice.

DancerMan said:
Two years ago I bought a commercial bottle of port - kind it was ???.
Anyway, I sipped on that same bottle for about a year and didn't notice any oxidation.

At Christmas, a friend of mine gave me a glass of his Tawney port. It was the best I have ever had. Can't remember the name except it was something - "Whiskers"
Now that was really nice.

Hardy's Whiskers Blake?

Ah, Ports are my favorite too. Penfold's Tawny is my favorite to date,Ikeep a bottle on the counter and have been sipping on it for a couple of weeks now and is still great.

Tawny Ports are already oxidized, They dont top up the barrels... So they can be opened for a long time.....

Other Ports still keep longer then most wines due to the higher ABV....

Port rules!!!

If you can find it, try a Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny.

Waldo said:
If you can find it, try a Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny.

No matter how much I make I always have a bottle of that port at home. Very, very good stuff!

i believe they found the longseatrips from Spain to the new world the wine would spoil so they added brandy to it the English like the taste and thats how ports got started,i believe,my friend and i started buying ports and this is how it went we started with a $45/dollar bottle and liked it a lot went through different pricing progressions ended up at $175/bottle and decided that the $45/bottle was to our taste,,,no accounting for taste ?
smiley32.gif

Every fan of Port should treat yourself to a bottle of PRAGER PORT from Napa valley!!! ($30-$85ish a bottle)

Latest posts

Back