RJ Spagnols Port...What Ya'll Making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from George that he has shipped my RJS Toasted Caramel Port. Have any of you made this kit and how was it?

And what are ya'll making this year?

I made that one Sept 2013, it is still in the carboy but I have sampled it and it is great. I did add 750ml bottle of Brandy to the 3 gallons just to up the abv a little.

I plan to add some brandy. Brandy, I think should go very well with the caramel taste.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I just got an e-mail from George that he has shipped my RJS Toasted Caramel Port. Have any of you made this kit and how was it?

And what are ya'll making this year?

I was really thinking about that one but then the MM La Bodega got me seriously thinking....

Working on a La Bodega now. Just started aging, will report back in a few months.

How much you paid for it? I see you're in Canada so I guess it was much cheaper than here in the US ?

that is about US$122.41

not much difference.....I can get it from FWV around US$126.00 shipped.

I will be making the coffee and the caramel this year. The coffee one was so good last year that people are still talking about it!
Heather

I am doing the exact same two this fall when they arrive. (Exact same, is that redundant?)

I will be making the coffee and the caramel this year. The coffee one was so good last year that people are still talking about it!
Heather

I am doing the same two this fall when they arrive.

I just started the toasted caramel port a couple of months ago and will bottle soon. The few tastes I have had are just fantastic. It may be the best port yet. It reminds me of a creme brulee in a bottle. I ordered the Black Forest Port this year and expect it to be as good as the Chocolate Raspberry ports I have made in the past. Some on here say it is a Chocolate Cherry Port. Sounds good to me.

I just received my RJS Coffee and Black Forest Port kits yesterday, hoping to get them started this weekend!

Heather

Same here! Although I'm also making a 2nd caramel and I'll be adding some homemade coffee liqueur to that one, effectively making a caramel/coffee port.

I made the chocolate raspberry 2 years running and people love it. Just put 2 small (3-4 oz) apéritif/cordial glasses together with a 375ml bottle of the port in a gift box. You know how you can it was a smash hit? Anyone that didn't get one was very upset!!

I'm sitting out this year. Still have plenty of the Chocolate Orange from two years ago, and have only opened three of the Black Forest from last year. Next year I may do both the coffee and the caramel. I really want to experiment with blending them.

I got my caramel yesterday :) Has anyone added oak to this kit?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

For the caramel, I plan to add french heavy toast oak chips and vanilla beans, and am considering adding sea salt. I top off with port and add fairly small amount of brandy.

For the coffee I will add 1 TBL espresso powder or instant coffee and french heavy toast oak chips, topping off with port and adding a fairly small amount of brandy. Same recipe as last year but I used medium toast oak powder rather than chips.

I think the heavy toast oak chips bring out nice notes in both.

Last year I added the full f pack, topped off with port at racking to keep some port wine taste, and just added the brandy at bottling. I racked to primary for bottling so I had room for the brandy. Ended up with 36 bottles as a result.

Heather

Back