RJ Spagnols Port style pre-orders?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Thig, that was what I was thinking but it makes it more like sherry but I know kits are different and it does make sense:sm

Thinks, I think I may be suffering from empty fermentor syndrome:db

Kathie, did you fortify you orange chocolate port? I was thinking Cointreau might be a good choice.

GaDawg, I have never fortified any of my ports. They came out to be about 19% abv and are delicious with some time on them.

But I agree with you, if I was to fortify, I would definitely try the Cointreau.

Kathie

GaDawg, I have never fortified any of my ports. They came out to be about 19% abv and are delicious with some time on them.
Kathie

My RJS Coffee port had a starting SG of 1.120, if it had gone all the way to .990 that would have been about 17% abv. You must be starting with a very high SG to get 19% without fortifying it.

Port wines

Remember what we are making , Here, it's a port style wine kit ,. Read the label that comes with it, so they took the best that they could do with the baseline wine and enhanced it , the best we can do is help compound that enhancement , no matter how you cut.:gb

Remember what we are making , Here, it's a port style wine kit ,. Read the label that comes with it, so they took the best that they could do with the baseline wine and enhanced it , the best we can do is help compound that enhancement , no matter how you cut.:gb

Joe, I agree with you. I was just wondering if you can even get to 19% abv without fortifying the wine. I would have thought the yeast would have been alcohol poisoned and killed off way before then. I know some them say they are tolerant up to about 18% so maybe it is possible.

Port wine

I'll tell you the best thing to do is when you see the fresh juice come out by yourself 6 gallons, or even go to walkers (will find them on the Internet ) under wine juice and see if they should have a port if so order it and experiment with that, these kits that were making as I stated before are in a wine style to which it too much alcohol/ you take away the flavor. The other way of introducing alcohol to a wine base is to continuously add yeast and sugar is slow gradual method to reach your desired alcohol level ,and yes are correct that are some yeast out there that have a high alcohol level but really good ports have a good alcohol level around 16% ,such as Sandman, excellent port but the top level is balance with flavor and that's what they're trying to do in these wanting style kits they're trying to balance out a moderate amount of alcohol with flavor ,check out walkers they have a port wine base that you should experiment with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:iR

Last edited:
The ports I have done (Cru Apple Tatin, WE Blackberry, and WE Orange Chocolate), all had a chapatalization pack and two yeast packets. They all started really high (over the 1.100 mark), and ended slightly sweet.

All came out between 17%-19% without fortifying.

Joeswine - I've been keeping up with your Coffee Port thread and it's now at the top of my list to make come fall!

Coffee port

SEE, what I'm saying is no need to fortify ,these are wine style kits the abv, is just right for the end product, thanks for staying on board...:b:b:b:b:b:b:b:b

Back