Port for Dummies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade said:
You could fortify it or you could keep adding sugar during fermetation until your yeast gives up. As said above the fruit shold be almost dbled to help hide the added abv. Making a port is not much different then making a wine with the exception of Chaptalizing (adding extra during fermentation). I too will be making a Pumpkin Port pretty soon but Im cheating by using a F-pack. this f-pack is the stuff that Dunkin Donuts uses in their Pumpking Spice coffees and Lattes. I was given a big container of this stuff.

That works? I never thought of that. Sometimes my wine comes out to "hot" tasting. I am going to try it with a frozen apple juice recipe. Thanks

The port has maybe 1/2 inch of lees at the bottom of the jugs. I'm thinking I should be doing something, not sure what. Is it time to add the f-pack?

I think you should cover them and walk away. Let it sit at least 2 months from whenever you last racked. You really want this to settle as much on its own as possible so you don't lose too much wine.
VC

Yeah... I would let it sit a bit longer before adding the f-pack. Maybe another week or so.... I would rack when you add the f-pack.

THEN.... I would do as vcasey said... Cover it up and walk away for a couple months before sweetening or anything else. IMO

How does it look? Is it clearing?

I would really let it sit longer before adding the fpac. There is no need to rack and rush the wine, let it sit and develop so you have a better idea of what adjustments you really need to make. Most folks rack too often because they feel like they should be doing something. So I have something for you to do instead - design the label, start planning the next wine and enjoy the holidays.
VC

It is clearing some, not mch yet.

You talked me into it - it will sit for a while longer.

Maybe I'll make an apple cyser or something while I'm waiting.

skinnydipper said:
It is clearing some, not mch yet.

You talked me into it - it will sit for a while longer.

Maybe I'll make an apple cyser or something while I'm waiting.

There ya go! I've been contemplating wines & meads while I bake cookies. Way to busy to fuss with wines, although I do have some wine work that I can no longer avoid.
VC

Hey all glad to hear everyone's Pumpkin wine/port is doing well. Mine is going great. I have got a question! So I have 11 gallons in two 5 gallon carboys plus 1 gal. I have induced MLF on one of the 5 carboys to see how it goes (i added a bit of malic acid to increase TA) - my concern is that it is still sitting on about and 1 1/2 inch of leese/sediment... should this be concern or should I rack it during its MLF into a new carboy and top up w/ a spare wine from the 1 gallon? Would racking mid MLF be bad? I am only concerned about the leese giving 'off flavors'.

Thoughts recommendations. The MLF is really bubbling and have it at 77-80 as it seems to like that range the best.

Thanks - Ashton

PS - please assume all else is within normal parameters and holding stable. I checked its stats after primary fermentation before I induced MLF. All readings good and at .996 :)

No problem letting it sit on the lees for a while. I would wait 2 months after you first racked it before racking again so you'll be able to get more wine since the sediment will settle and compact more.
VC

It's only sitting on the YEAST LEE'S that is bad... Right?

and maybe the clarifiers....

Goodfella said:
It's only sitting on the YEAST LEE'S that is bad... Right?

and maybe the clarifiers....

If its the gross lees, I would say don't let it sit to long, but this sounds like it's had the first racking. Again, most folks feel like they need to do something so they fiddle or rack and its ok to let it sit. Sitting gives it a chance to develop and lets the wine really shine.
My guess is no clearing has been used - Malo was done on one of these.
VC

This has had the first racking from the primary to its first carboy. There is still action but maybe I will cool it to 70 degrees, calm it, rack it into a new carboy that is clean, top it with bit of wine from the 1 gal, and heat her back up to finish the MLF? I am simply worried bcs I have not SO2 the other carboy in about a week (since it had its last wine). I washed it inside but didn't add SO2 bcs I was worried about the MLF being stopped. Seems like it sitting on the 'real' leese is bad idea. I don't worry to much about sediment, but this is the inactive yeast.

Sitting on the lees will help develop the complex flavors and give you a nice mouth feel. I would resist the urge to do anything except plan the label and my next project, but that's me and I have learned that sometimes less work is best, which includes less racking. This is one case where I try not to play too much with my food.
VC

Ok thanks VC. I will leave it be, take the Xmas vaca, and come back to review in 2 months! I am very excited to compare the two versions and see the differences.

Last Friday, 2/12/2010, I added two cans of pumpkin pie filling as an f-pac. I naturally tasted the wine first, it was smooth with some slight bitterness - maybe I shouldn't have added the ginger. I still have two full gallons and a 1.5 liter bottle. I reduced the pie filling on the stove, stuck a sanatized 1 gallon paint strainer half way in the carbaby then used a funnel to fill the strainer with the reduced pie filling.I then racked the port into each carbaby.I did this to each gallon and left the 1.5 liter bottle alone. I'll leave it alone for some time, not sure how long until I remove the strainers.

Thoughts? Comments?

On a side note, I just got back from Trader Joes and couldn't resist buying seven - twelve ounce bags of frozen blueberries. IS this enough for a 1 gallon port? I seem to becoming addicted to making fruit ports.

skinnydipper said:
Last Friday, 2/12/2010, I added two cans of pumpkin pie filling as an f-pac. I naturally tasted the wine first, it was smooth with some slight bitterness - maybe I shouldn't have added the ginger. I still have two full gallons and a 1.5 liter bottle. I reduced the pie filling on the stove, stuck a sanatized 1 gallon paint strainer half way in the carbaby then used a funnel to fill the strainer with the reduced pie filling.I then racked the port into each carbaby.I did this to each gallon and left the 1.5 liter bottle alone. I'll leave it alone for some time, not sure how long until I remove the strainers.

Thoughts? Comments?

On a side note, I just got back from Trader Joes and couldn't resist buying seven - twelve ounce bags of frozen blueberries. IS this enough for a 1 gallon port? I seem to becoming addicted to making fruit ports.

<-----------loves blueberry port.

1st... I would remove the strainers now. Just squeeze it out.

2nd... 12 bags of blueberries is plenty fo a gallon of blueberry Port. It will be awesome. I have a Blueberry Port going right now. Honestly, I think it will be the BOLDEST Port I have ever tasted. I am so happy with it!!!

Edit: I thought I read you had 12 bags Blueberry. On mine I used 8 bags up front, and between 2-3 for f-pack. But it is strong.

Just want to add my two cents worth for non-cooks reading this. There is a big difference between "pumpkin pie filling" and canned pumpkin. The cans marked "pie filling" have lots of other stuff besides spices and pumpkin, sugar, eggs, thickeners, who knows what. Don't remember exactly, but could throw off the recipe considerably.

Goodfella - could I get your blueberry recipe?

intoxicating - I used an organic canned pie filling. I read the ingredients carefully - nothing but pumpkin and spices. I also added just a touch of vanilla extract. The flavor profile I am seeking is best decribed as pumpkin pie with wipped cream.

Back