RJ Spagnols Port Fermentation Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
Making my first RJS Port Kit (made a WE and La Bodega). Question about fermentation temp:

From what I read, the ideal fermentation temp is about 70 degrees for Red. Mine is currently 80 degrees. Should I move it to the basement?

I keep reading about keeping it warm to keep the yeast fermenting. But, to keep it at 70 degrees (max), that means I have to cool it, not warm it.

Red wines no worries about fermentation temps. 80's are just fine. White wines you want cooler. No need to move it anywhere.

It probably want matter for a port kit, but for a red with skins it will. A slower fermentation ( lower temp.) will allow for more flavor to be extracted from the skins.

Here's a link to an article about fermentation temperatures

Thanks for the info. Large batches get really hot.

As a kit without skins, I am not so worried about color and such. Lower temps will keep more of the aromatics.

What I am most worried about is: Alcohol productions. Give the EC-1118 the best conditions to maximize alcohol production. With the Port Kit, I will chaptalize with the F-pack at SG 1.020 (estimate to hit 1.050), and the yeast will give up when it gets back to around 1.020.

According to the data sheet:
http://www.lallemandyeast.com/system/files/pdfs/ec1118_yeast_0.pdf?download=1

the "optimal" range for the yeast is 15-25C, which is 59-77F.

Yeast Strain vs. Ferm Temp?

Here's a link to an article about fermentation temperatures that you might find interesting to read:

http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=columns_article&content=60528

Interesting article, however the missing bit of information regarding the various temps employed and the end result is the strain of yeast used. If wine yeast strains are anything like those used in brewing, there's a strong relationship between strain and temp on production of esters, phenolics and those pesky headache producing fusel alcohols. Not to drag this into a brewing discussion but there's an enormous difference between a lager yeast and a saison yeast at a given ferm temp.

I guess the point of all this is that I'm admittedly a relatively new (~20 kits) convert from the brewing hobby were yeast strain and the ferm temp profile throughout primary is vitally important in many styles and have yearned for more information on this type info in wine making.

I'm familiar with the general rule that whites should go through primary at lower temps than reds, but coming from a background were a few degrees here and there can make a significant difference in the flavor profile, I've always desired more specifics. The wine yeast data sheets are all pretty generic WRT temp ranges. However, can I optimize the spicy phenolics in a Syrah by following a particular ferm temp profile for say BM45 (i.e. stay in the lower end of the speced temp range)? Or, optimal fruity esters from BDX yeast in a Cab by ramping the temp up or down throughout primary? :?

Am I way off base here WRT wine making chemistry and impact of temp on yeast activity? Are wine strains (vis-à-vis brewer strains) less sensitive to ferm temp on their production of the multitude of flavor and aroma compounds? Could it be the precursor compounds available in the grape must are substantially different from brewing wort such that the resulting ester, phenolic and fusel alcohol production are less impacted by temp?

Just curious... :h

P.S. For commercial producers, I'm sure there's a degree (no pun intended) of trade secrecy involved here, but that's where us hobbyists might contribute to optimizing our outcomes through experimentation and info sharing.

OK, verbose mode OFF.

Interesting article, however the missing bit of information regarding the various temps employed and the end result is the strain of yeast used..

Perhaps I was remiss, but there are scads of articles about this very topic all for the taking with some simple searches, and I agree that all of those variables can come into play. I've no beer brewing experience and can't comment on the variables there.

My personal preference when fermenting red grape must with skins (whether it be wine from grapes or kits with grape packs) is to allow my must to get into the upper 80's, perhaps crossing the 90 mark, and bringing back down into the 70's for the last third or so of sugar depletion. Lots of our NAPA wineries follow a similar protocol. Others ferment in their caves, in barrels at 65, and their wines are killer. I like big wine and want to extract everything I can, finishing off a little quieter and trying not to blow off all of the flavor profile. Just my two cents.

Back