Other Port: Choc/Orange v Choc/Raspberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockpuppet

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I have another question. Has anybody tasted both the chocolate-orange kit and the chocolate-raspberry kits and have opinions/comparisons they'd like to share? I've done the orange and it was okay to good, a little weak on the wine flavor and heavy on the sweet/orange, but the alcohol was good.
smiley2.gif

Gotta make a decision pretty quickly here; can't have them all!
smiley19.gif

Thanks!
</font></font>

Sorry, only the orange so far... And it's coming around nicely. Wine flavor is showing a tad more now. In fact, I think I'll have some. Great idea!
smiley32.gif

Hey, PWP! How's every li'l thang? Enjoying your wine? I tasted a Chocolate Port at D'Vine wines in town and I'm in love. I wish George would find that kit! D'Vine wines makes 30-bottle "batches," and sell by the bottle or by the batch and you can label and bottle your own. Anyway, it's heavenly chocolate port!
Cheers!

Sock, I have made the chocolate raspberry port. I opened it at 6 months. Alot of chocolate and raspberry flavor jumps at you. In a few more months the wine flavor will come around.
OC port kit is on the way!!
smiley4.gif

PwP, when did your "wine" flavor start to come thru on your port?

At 6 months, mine has not yet. But, I know it is still early.

I read so much about theOrange Chocolate Port that I made 2 batches which turned out very nice. I have since tasted aRaspberry Chocolate Port and I find it even better than the OC Port. Both of these kits are excellent and I believe it's simply a matter of personal preference as to which one is the best...

jagsroy

I too think it is a personal choice. My wife loves the OC and I like the CR.

I personally think the the contrast chocolat (sweet) and orange (sour) is more interesting regarding the flavour than chocolate rasberry. But it really depends on the person and both kit are really recomendable!
Anyways many people dont even tast the difference ;-)

If anyone does not like either kit, I'll step up and volunteer to take donations of your port. I know, it is a rather generous gesture on my part. But I'mjust that type of guy. I am currently making the chocolate raspberry and am kicking myself for not paying attention earlier this year when the chocolate orange was available.

You are all heart! According to Grapestompers web site they still have the OCP in stock as well as the White Chocolate Port and Austin Homebrew has the Okanagan Peach Ice Wine.
VPC

I made another batch of Choc/Orange, but I tasted the raspberry at the Toy Store's bottling party. MMMmmmmm! The raspberry seemed to have a little more body than I remembered the orange having.

Recently, when bottling, we opened a bottle of raspberry and also drank some of the orange we were bottling to compare the two. I actually liked the orange a little better, even though I thought I liked the raspberry better at the earlier time. Both are great!

We started the Peach Ice Wine last weekend. Can't wait to try that one!

I have all of them either done or going. Not that crazy about the WCP at bottling but that might just turn around and become the best given time like my White Ice wine did which was nasty when I made it and is remarkable now. The Orange Blossom Muscat is awesome at bottling and the Peach Ice is still fermenting but I took a sip during racking and even with all the yeast and sediment in there it was great. As a matter of fact it was the only wine that ever tasted good at this point of the game and tastes a lot like pineapple.

df, check out a website called "High Gravity.com". They have the OC port. That is where I found mine when George sold all of his.

Thanks uav. But after reading some other posts, now I've got a bug to make the RJS Orange Blossom Muscat.Posters are giving it rave reviews. Now I'm debating which kit will fill my available 3 gallon carboy. So many kits, so little cash and carboys.

OBM is awesome but so is the Rasp Choc and Im hoping that the OCP beats them all. I dont find the White Choc port to be in the same category unfortunately butit is good, more like a Butterscotch port to me actually.

Back