Poppig Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I am now using a floor corker for bottling rather than a hand corker. Using #8 corks, after a couple of hours several of the corks are now above the tops of the bottles by over a 1/8 inch. Didn't have this problem with the hand corker. Any suggestions?

How much room between cork and wine? (compressing air)

Are your corks soaking wet when inserting? (take too long to dry to the bottle)

Is your wine REALLY done? (CO2 pushing the corks out)

[I agree with what the others above have said... but...]

You seem to be implying that the cause has something to do with the floor vs. the hand corker, right? IF IT DOES then it could be that you have your hand corker setting the corks deeper into the bottles than the floor corker; you haven't noticed the same thing happening because those hand set corks simply did not rise above the bottle top.

Perhaps another possibility... if the floor corker is to be blamed (I personally don't believe it is the problem), is that the floor corker is compressing the cork more than the hand corker and something about the nature of the corks you're using allows them to recover more fully from the hand corker compression.

Last edited:
I don't think the #8's vs #9's is the problem. Either size should be staying in place. I'd double check headspace, be absolutely certain that there is no gas or fermentation activity, and make sure the corks are dry.

In a manual operation, use a standard bottle filling wand and fill to the top of the bottle. Removing the wand will lower the level enough to provide @ 1"-1 1/8" headspace after inserting a typical 1 1/2" cork. My method and I've never had to dodge a popper!!

Last edited:
Bkisel, I think the floor corker is compressing the corks more than the hand corker. I also agree with the others that a #9 cork will correct the problem.

I've been using #8 corks and a floor corker since the beginning.

I'ver had absolutely zero problems with corks pushing out.
I've even had no problems with corks that have just been sanitized and are still wet.

Are you laying the bottles down right away? I've always waited a day or two before laying them down.

As others have said, check your headspace. There should be about the diameter of the cork space between the wine and the bottom of the cork.

Are you absolutely sure that the corks have jumped out a bit? Is it possible that the floor corker simply isn't driving them in far enough?

I am sure that you must know this, but just in case....My floor corker (and I am sure yours as well) has a depth adjustment nut on the pin. I like to adjust this so that the cork is countersunk by about 1/8". That, plus 18-24 months of ageing, and I haven't had a cork pop on me in many years...

Untitled.jpg

Latest posts

Back