Pomegranate wine from juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy HH

Junior
Reaction score
Could not find much info online about pomegranate wine made from store bought juice. Found a few bits of info here and there and kind of put them all together.
Found Lakewood brand organic juice at the health food store.
It's 100% juice, not from concentrate, not filtered, no additives.
Started with three 32oz bottles of juice,32oz of water, and sugar to 1.085 sg. The juice itself was 1.060.
I added 1 camden tab, 1/4 tsp pectic, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer. I checked the acid and added 1/4 tsp acid blend.
Added yeast second daily started in warm water. Lalvin 71b.
Sg hit 1.00 5 days later and I racked it on the 6th.
It's been two weeks since I racked. The sg was .990 this morning, so Iracked and added K-meta.
It's pretty potent right now, but has a good taste. Looks like it will take a while to clear.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Fairly new to this but like to experiment.

Welcome to the forum.

I would plan on getting more juice (approx 1/4-1/3 amount used in primary). Simmer it down to 1/3 it's original volume, and add (F-Pack). Remember to add sorbate if you do this!

Then back sweeten to taste.

I wouldn't try to clear your wine until you have done this, as it will cloud it back up anyways...

Maybe use a little Pectic enzyme.... I think you were a little low in the beginning.
That might be why its not clearing yet (and its still way early)

I wouldnt have added water to this myself. The juice was also most likely pasteurized so it wouldnt need any campden tablets before starting.

I bought another bottle of juice last weekend. Reduced it10oz and added it. Sorbate added the day before along with another 1/4tsp pectic.
Took a little taste tonight to see where that got us and I think it's going to be very good. It has a slightly tart pom taste with a hint of lighter fluid.
By summer it ought to be great.
Thanks for the advice.

theres a juice company out there called pom....look for it ....try it when you have made a batch of white wine,pull off a gallon and experiment with it I think this is what your looking for...........

Pomegranate is so acidic that when I made it I diluted it by almost 50%. Of course I augmented the primary with 2# of concord jelly and poured it all on the lees of Sangiovese. I checked the pH prior to ferment and it was 3.5 so right in the correct range.

I bought 10 jars of that jelly for $1 each. I just couldn't pass it up and I'm trying to distribute it evenly LOL

You can also tone down the acidity taste by back sweetening a little bit.

Only problem with using jelly, is getting enough pectinase to break down all the pectin added to it to get it to jell. I used some prickly pear jelly to counter the addition of too much lemon juice, and bring the acidity back down.

Im not sure but it seems to me thats a long way around the wine turn to achieve the end result<???????????//

Have never seen a recipe or considered trying Pomegranate wine. Was going through Kentucky this past weekend, though, and stopped at a Liquor store in Lexington to see if they had any local wines. Found and bought a Pomegranate wine from a winery just outside town. Will be interesting to see what it tastes like.

Maybe homemade Pomegranate winein mylittle home winery down the road also.
smiley2.gif

I've made several wines with pomegranate and so far I haven't found pomegranate to be a very good wine juice. Not my favorite fruit wine!

I believe its usually used as a background component,but if used properly can be very tasty ,its a summer wine type of drink,pom makes a great pomegranate juice ,or try the pom/melbec kit WE/very tasty....

Latest posts

Back