Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Started this 6 gallon batch today with 24 lbs of plums cut up and destoned. I think I am over extending this room a bit!
20070912_173454_Wine_Room.jpg

Hmmmmmm OK wade is this like a guessing game? Pick the fermenter that has the Plum and win a free bottle when it is ready.
smiley36.gif

Your wines look great buddy !!

I see you're wired for sound. What type of music does your wine like?
smiley17.gif

I can guess the music:

For:

Plum Wine = Something plum crazey

Peach Wine = something peachy kean

Blueberry = the Blues

Strawberry = Strawberry fields forever

Or, for all the reds : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNUGq7UTiQ[/ame]

Edited by: jobe05

Very clever Jobe and I love that song. Waldo, they are the 2 taller primaries on the left. Lanomed, Im using the recipe on this website listed under recipes when you 1st open this page. I have not adjusted or even tested for SG or acid or anything yet. I like to let it sit and let the pectic enzyme do its thing for a day before testing SG, as for acid, Ill adjust that later as everything will be extracted better and the fact that you can adjust that at any time.Will go for a Starting SG of 1.080. Never just add sugar to recipe with wines as these can vary much, especially with fruits.

Just added sugar and yeast and it took 9 lbs. of sugar to get it to 1.080. I used Red Star Montrachet Yeast to bring as much fruit flavor forward as possible since Plum isnt a very strong fruit and thats why Im keeping the SG a little lower than I do other fruit wines.

That's quite a bit of sugar. Can't be there was a lot in the plums. Good luck with it Wade. It sounds good.

lanomed- Welcome to the forum! I see you haven't posted before. You came to a good spot for some good winemaking info and help. Again Welcome and stay a while!
smiley4.gif

The recipe actually called for 12 so either they were shooting for an extremely high SG for a plum wine or my plums were a lot sweeter.
I really hope this batch comes out good as I love plums but know they are short on flavor. Anyone who has made plum wine before and ha info to add here, please do so. I will back sweeten this and will start looking for a plum juice to do this with.

So Wade thats all you added you didn't need to add anything else acid blend etc.? I have a friend that has a 5 gallon bucket full of Blue Free or Blue Sky Plums (I think thats what they are called. He said I could have them to make wine. I never had it but these plums are sweet and delicious!
Edited by: jhawk

JHawk, I will post tomorrow as I dont add acid up front anymore as it will really change as the fruit is consumed during fermentation as it is devoured by the pectin enzyme breaking it up. I did add yeast nutrient at the ratio of 1 tsp. per gallon and yeast energizer at the ratio of 1/2 tsp. per gallon. I wiil be transferring tomorrow and will post how much acid blend I will have to add but will tell you to always adjust sugar and acid to your fruit as even wity the same kind of fruit it will vary quite a bit.

Okay I racked and tested my Plum today and the acid according to the
recipe would have been right on the money with 1/2 tsp per gallon. The
TA at that ratio with the fruit I used and 3 tsp. per 6 gallon batch
was 7 and the PH was 3.4 according to the Accuvin tests.
20070924_164920_Plum.jpg

Racked it and fined it today and its a very nice color. It had a nice
taste to it also. I may sparkle 1/2 of this batch along with 1/2 the
crabapple.
20071021_104116_Plum.jpg

Wade, That plum looks really nice, great color.

Looks like you have had a busy day (via the other post).

I mad a shelf on legs that went over my bench that I can put a carboy up on to raise it another 3 feet up in the air, which makes for a greater drop in my siphon hose, creating more pressure in the filter, making it much quicker. You could do something like that with your wood working talents. I made mine tall enough to put my 1 gallon ad 3 gallon carboys under as to not waste the space. Works out well except when I have to lift a 6 gallon carboy up there, that can be a little taxing, but doable.

I just set it up with the caboy Im filtering from and do something else until its done. With my back I dont want to do any extra lifting so I just let her rip from where she is. But a shelf for other things might come in the future.

Hi Wade,
David here, I've made a couple different and each have been a favorite
of my fruit wines I make. I'm on a Pluot Plum wine kick right now because of the availability of the fruit at our local Walmart. A doctor friend of mind turned me on to them. They are very sweet and juicey. I've laso made some black plum wine. Both came out very nice. I discovered a Plum/Peach
seem to complement each other. I've reserved a gallon from each individual 5 gal batch and blended both in equal parts. I have plans to try a 2 to 3 gal. batch of Sand Plum wine as I traded some Muscadines for some sand plums recently.

I force carbonated 5 gallons of the Plum wine on Saturday and today I couldnt get any more gas into it so I lowered the pressure down to serving pressure on the keg and got myself a glass, Its awesome! I disregarded all chrts for pressuring on this as i wanted this to ba as carbonated as i could get it and Im glad I did. I had it in my cellar at 508 and turned the C02 onto 50 PSI, thats the point at were my regulator would start to release and I proceeded to shake the heck out of it daily to get it till I couldnt get any more in and WALA! I like this so much better then doing it the long/hard way as i can stabilize it and sweeten till I like it then carbonate. Now I have this kegged but dont have a bottle filler for this yet so Ill just drink it out of there or try what a few others have done on a beer forum were they introduced C02 into a bottle and then stuck a racking cane into the picnic tap end to stick that in the bottle. Ill give it a try on an ice cold Champagne ottle in the next few days as my schedule is all screwed up lately.

Latest posts

Back