Planning my first blend from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gearing myself up for the possibilities that come with the fall harvest in California.

I'm planning a blend of about 85% Cabernet; 10% Cab Franc; and 5% Petit Verdot - mostly from grapes (though 1 juice pail isn't a bad idea). I understand that it's best to ferment separately and blend after fermentation is complete. But, let's suppose I want 12 gallons of Cab; and 6 gallons each of the other two. I figure I'd just blend up 15 gallons and bottle the rest straight up; or, do 20 gallons of Cab, use 5 gallons (3 and 2 respectfully) of the other two, and bottle the rest...

So, I'm really shopping for some input right now. Am I crazy? Why is it bad to blend and then ferment? What blends have you done and with what results?

I already see the need for a big brute primary. What do I do about clearing? Aging??

I've only been at this hobby for a year and have only made kits so far. So, for me - this is a huge step... All advice is welcome and appreciated.

I love your enthusiasm, but for your first batch from grapes, why not simplify a bit and go with a single varietal, or a simple field blend, like 80% Cab, 20% Merlot? There are a lot of variables to deal with, and trying to manage 3 ferments can get a little busy - especially the first couple days. Then again: go big, or go home, right?

Then again: go big, or go home, right?

EXACTLY!!! If I'm going to step to the plate, I'm swinging for the fence, dangit!

Really, I want to do a blend that I know I'm going to love. And, that blend is like magic for me. Gotta research oak and tannin choices. But, I'm fixated for now.

Why is it bad to field blend?

My $0.02. Unless you have at least some decent experience with checking pH, TA, Brix (get a cheap refractometer off Amazon or eBay for fresh grapes so much easier than a hydrometer before fermentation starts with all the seeds, and skins etc.) I would go with 2 varietals and make 2 wines out of them. My first time out I made 6G of Cab Sauv and 6G of Merlot fermented separately using different yeast and then after the wines had gone through barrel time and bulk aging in carboy as well I blended them up into 75% Cab Sauv - 25% Merlot and then the reverse blend. The next year I felt comfortable enough to go up from there to 6 Primaries, then 8 Primaries...... It gets to be a lot of work trying to figure out all the numbers, if you need to adjust acid, brix, etc all in a timely fashion.

My $0.02. Unless you have at least some decent experience with checking pH, TA, Brix (get a cheap refractometer off Amazon or eBay for fresh grapes so much easier than a hydrometer before fermentation starts with all the seeds, and skins etc.) I would go with 2 varietals and make 2 wines out of them. My first time out I made 6G of Cab Sauv and 6G of Merlot fermented separately using different yeast and then after the wines had gone through barrel time and bulk aging in carboy as well I blended them up into 75% Cab Sauv - 25% Merlot and then the reverse blend. The next year I felt comfortable enough to go up from there to 6 Primaries, then 8 Primaries...... It gets to be a lot of work trying to figure out all the numbers, if you need to adjust acid, brix, etc all in a timely fashion.

That's fair, Mike. I plan on getting/ using testing equipment. But, yeah - I get the concern. I've got some time to think.

Last edited:
Why is it bad to field blend?

It's not inherently bad. There are pros and cons.

Primarily:

Pro: ease of fermenting one batch

Con: loss of total control over final product

My first blend was a 50/50 Cab/Merlot. Turned out just fine. If I'm not mistaken, @JohnT often does an 80/20 Cab-Merlot field blend with Chilean grapes.

As a practice, I field blend.

Everyone here is correct. You get much more control over the final product when you ferment, then blend.

The reason I blend then ferment is that I can get a pretty good idea on what a final wine will be like by examining and tasting the grapes before I purchase them. I then can decide if another varietal would bolster the wine in a positive way. I have to say that things don't always go to plan with this method.

I have always wanted to try post blending, but have figured that this would take additional storage, time, and effort.

Last edited:
blending before fermentation as stated by most relinquishes control of final product.
the grapes will change from year to year so that this years blend may not be equal to last year's blend. let us get back to original questions. fermenting the three grapes is not the problem it is the quantity that you propose that may become difficult. I would suggest 5-6 gallons of each variety, fermented separately. do not blend until wine is clear and aged sufficiently at least 6 months or more. determine optimum blend of first two grapes. assuming A and B as the grapes try blends of 80A20b, 70a30b, 60a 40b etc. using bench trials . once first blend is selected make a small batch and then blend with C. make a bottle sample of final blend and let it sit for about a month. some blends will drop sediment over time or even fight each other in taste etc. if final blend is stable then bottle. bottle remaining wine as single as varietals. once you get the experience on the smaller quantity go with the larger volumes.

Agree with salcoco. Ferment separately, find the best cab/cf blend, then try 1% incremental adds of the PV. An excellent professional winemaker in my neck of the woods uses PV like icing on the cake, just a little bit, depending on what the wine needs. I hand picked, crushed, fermented 25 lbs or so of PV this year, so I would have a gallon of the magic juice to blend with this year's Mourvedre and Barbera.

blending before fermentation as stated by most relinquishes control of final product.
the grapes will change from year to year so that this years blend may not be equal to last year's blend. let us get back to original questions. fermenting the three grapes is not the problem it is the quantity that you propose that may become difficult. I would suggest 5-6 gallons of each variety, fermented separately. do not blend until wine is clear and aged sufficiently at least 6 months or more. determine optimum blend of first two grapes. assuming A and B as the grapes try blends of 80A20b, 70a30b, 60a 40b etc. using bench trials . once first blend is selected make a small batch and then blend with C. make a bottle sample of final blend and let it sit for about a month. some blends will drop sediment over time or even fight each other in taste etc. if final blend is stable then bottle. bottle remaining wine as single as varietals. once you get the experience on the smaller quantity go with the larger volumes.

This sounds like a test of will... Self control... Patience... Okay. I'm in. My only concern is not having enough cab to make the volume I want in the end.

I started 150 gallons in 2015...you can never have too much :h

Being an hour and a half from Napa, you can probably get as much as you want, too (well, up to the 200 gallon limit, anyway). Lucky dog.

Okay - so, I'm thinking that by the time I'm ready to buy my grapes and get going, I'll need to have a complete inventory of equipment needed.

I have two 7.5 gallon primaries for the CF and PV; will need to get a brute for the CS.
I have all the usual wine equipment for kit wine making; but, I'll need test equipment.
I'll need to pick out my yeasts and get a better understanding of what MLF is all about.

Beyond that, I don't know what I don't know...

Last edited:
How will your crush/destem and press your grapes? Those are two huge efforts that will require some equipment for the volume you expect to do.

How will your crush/destem and press your grapes? Those are two huge efforts that will require some equipment for the volume you expect to do.

I'm planning on buying from Harford Vineyards this fall (varietal availability still a question, I know), but they de-stem and press for a fee. If this is something that works out, it might make sense to go in with some other wine makers and buy my own equipment. But, the cost from Harford is fairly nominal. So, a decision to buy that equipment is a long way down the road.

I'm planning on buying from Harford Vineyards this fall (varietal availability still a question, I know), but they de-stem and press for a fee. If this is something that works out, it might make sense to go in with some other wine makers and buy my own equipment. But, the cost from Harford is fairly nominal. So, a decision to buy that equipment is a long way down the road.

I have a press, but they do my desteming and crushing there for me. Worth the money, IMHO. Start looking on Craigslist for a press.

Jim, it sounds like they are all giving you great advice! 2015 was the first year I did it from grapes and I'm really glad I went simple and did 100 pounds of Cab S, 100 pounds of Zin and about 50 pounds of Malbec. Figuring out the numbers and tracking everything was not easy my first time, I could not imagine adding complications like field blending. Now that they are all 7 months down the road I can play with them and taste them for what they are. The control is much easier this way! Have fun and try not to over think it. What you end up with in the end will most likely not be what you envisioned but much better because of the control. Oh, and with the first time MLF, patience!!!! I know........ Cheers!!

I'm all for keeping it simple the first time. My first go, I just went with 3 lugs (108lbs) of Petite Sirah. Managing the logistics of moving buckets of crushed grapes from car to winery, testing pH, trying to get a decent SG reading with a hydrometer (I've since purchased a refractometer), and all the other details was enough. I'd be tempted to go with Cab Sauv and Merlot. They will blend well and can stand well on their own. I'd also begin procuring the following:

1) pH meter along with calibration and storage solutions
2) Refractometer
3) Punch down tool (https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-cap-punch-tool-small.html)
4) Press - start scouring Craigslist now.

Download and read the following: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

Back