Pitch Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardon-man

Junior
Reaction score
Does this mean you start the yeast 12 hrs before in a container then add it or just what till 12 hrs and then start to add yeast

Rehydrate yeast using 8 oz warm water, 1 tbs disolved sugar and 1 tsp yeast nutrient.
12 hours later pitch yeast starter

Pitching the yeast refers to adding it to the must.

You can make the starter as you describe, up to ??? hours (12 is ok) - or ...

follow the directions on the packet
which Lalvin yeasts say, rehydrate for 15 minutes (and only 15 minutes), do not stir for those 15 minutes, then stir and add to the must.

I've done both ways, and I've pitched the yeast dry sprinkling on top of the must. I prefer at least the rehydrating to make sure the yeast is viable.

Pelican,
is there an appreciable difference in one way or the other?
some kits tell me to sprinkle the yeast over the top and not stir, others say make the starter and stir in, still others say to pour in and stir.

Just wondering if you could do any of the above without hurting my end result...... (in case I was enjoying a glass or 2 of my previous wine while making my next batch!)
smiley36.gif

If you have a high gravity wine (late harvest, Icewine) I would make a starter. That would help the yeast get going.

Making a starter will tell you if the yeast is viable instead of just sprinkling on, If you have had a yeast packet around for awhile and plan on doing a batch then making a starter with this packet would be a great idea instead of sprinkling and finding out a few days later that the packet was no good. Sprinkling does work fine but it is better to get a starter going before the rest is started as this decreases the possibility of any bacteria forming.

So, even if a kit would state to sprinkle the yeast into the must there is no real harm in making a starter instead... and in fact may be quite beneficial??

What about stirring the must during active fermentation?

I've read (can't remember where anymore... I love this hobby
smiley4.gif
), that stirring during fermentation will help the yeasties eat all the nutrients in the primary and to some degree help with flavor... fiction or non-fiction?

Back