Cellar Craft Pinot Noir California Reserve

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JW,

My AMH fermentation took 14 days to complete while other yeasts I have used on Pinot have completed fermentation in seven. What's the s.g. reading currently?

- Jim

1.000 this A.M. It has to be the slowest ferment Ive had, yet all appearances are it is very active. Jim what is your impression of the finished product you made with this yeast?

JW,

I split ferment this kit 50-50 AMH and VQ-15 Rockpile Syrah yeast. While each of the 3-gallon batches had a different aroma, the AMH seemed to pull out a bit more of what I'd call the 'spice' characteristics of the Pinot. This kit was started in March of this year and is next in line for oaking in a Frenchmedium toastbarrel, both 3-gallon batches having been combined back together. The smell of the combined wine was quite enjoyable, even at this very young state. I won't be tasting it until the oaking stage, so I don't have much for you on that side. The intent is to blend this with a pinot that was made with RC-212 and W-15 yeasts.

By your video on Photobucket, it sure looks like it's still active.

- Jim

I wanted to see if I could boost the complexity of the Pinot Noir kit wine by mixing the results of different yeast on the same kit. My inspiration was one of the original items that triggered my quest to learn more about using yeast other than EC-1118 at Foxen Vineyards. Note the inoculation on this page.

In an ideal state, I would have made four Pinot Noir kits and then done a controlled blending with the results of each yeast, but this didn't work out logistically at this point in time.

- Jim

Day 25...still going....
smiley36.gif

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/jwminnesota/SECOND%20ALBUM/?action=view&current=100_1197.flv

Jim, its threatening 0.998 , I racked it to dispel some of the gas it is saturated with just to not be mislead by it. Hopefully done and I will stabilize by end of this week.

JW,

Well, it's dry at least. :) Let me know how it finishes up.

- Jim

I had to go in to work this past weekend, so didn't have time for wine maintenance. I do walk by every morning and watch it happily bubble away
smiley36.gif
thinking it HAS to be done! I should have time Wed to check back on this one.

Day 34 of my summer vacation....
smiley36.gif
. Its starting to seem like that, sg still measured 1.000 this A.M., very active visually. Added some nutrient ,and it got happy,maybe help this one finish up....someday.

20090727_064656_100_1240_Small.jpg

So...day 39, figured I would check sg, it was...0.998! I heard a thunderous applause from all the carboys and babies, air locks that have been silent for month gurgled their approval, wine that has been bottles for years spun around in excitement! Tomorrow we check again to verify, then its on to the stabilizing and clearing!

Wife went to the Cities with friends to watch the Twins/White Sox, thought Id get a little wine work in...then decided as long as this one has made me wait, think Ill wait until the weekend to stab/clear.
smiley17.gif

Two quick comments:

First, JW, thank you for posting the progress, both written and visually, of your progress. It really is fun for a beginner like me to see what things should look like.

Second, thanks to Jim for sharing his experiences too. I'm on my third kit and I didn't think to change the yeast.

You have both inspired me to rethink the way I attack this obsession in the future.

Many Thanks!
Ike

Big Ike I am glad you are enjoying the adventure. I do stress that making adjustments to kits is risky, I am responsible for the failures as well as any successes, and am willing to accept that. For me, to make kit after kit and simply follow the directions would get boring. I do and will still follow when I want the predictable result and not the risk. The fun part, what makes it a hobby, is taking it and attempting to make it more than it would be otherwise. Maybe finding a more appropriate yeast for the variety, or an additive that might enhance a particular characteristic of the wine, or one to avoid as it doesn't fit the variety at all. I too appreciate Jim for sharing his knowledge and experiences, isn't that what we are here for? Enjoy the adventure and share it with all of us!

Big Ike,

JW is absolutely correct - we take our future into our own hands when it comes to deviating from the tried and true method of making wine from kits. Given that statement, I personally agree with JW that it is more interesting to run some tests and see how things come out. Study the product information from the manufacturers like the Scott Labs 2009 Fermentation Guide - there's a lot of good information in there. They, like wine kit manufacturers, want you to succeed and keep buying their product.

My own trails have been with Lalvin yeast products, primarily, so I'm curious to see how JW's Wyeast tests will turn out. My oldest wines where I altered the yeast are not even a year old, so we'll see how they turn out over time.

- Jim

Guys,

I'm all about personal responsibility... and the scientific method!

My big fear is that I'm going to alter too many variables all at once and miss some incremental benefit from changing just one variable. Tough to hold myself back.

You guys ought to be in Napa, Sonoma, Walla Walla or the Dundee Hills!

Thanks again,
Ike

20090730_193712_100_1246_Small.jpg

Stir and pull stir and pull, man this one has got allot of gas. Closest Ive ever come to a volcano to match Wades! Stabilizing tonight, think Ill let it rest a week or so before adding clarifier's.

Had a little time on my hands, staying up to get acclimated to nights again since I go to nights Monday. Decided to test oak level on this one. Hit me just right, so in the bottle it went. Outstanding aroma and flavor for such a young wine, nice lingering finish. Cant wait to see this one age out, could do a bottle now!
20090816_232021_100_1458_Small.jpg

Back