Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springer

Junior
Reaction score
I am making white wine from grapes for the first time. I have made it from Red in the past in an old traditional method (no sulfite or yeast). This year I am trying to use a little more science. I destemed the grapes added sulfite and yeast, let sit 18 hours, pressed and put in 3 carboys. Brown sludge is at the bottom and top of 2 carboys (one of which came out through the air lock) and the third carboy very little is happening. Should I have left it all together in a primary container to ferment? Is the yeast distributed evenly? It was only transfered to the Carboys 24 hours ago? What should I do? Any suggestions?

I did the same thing a few batches ago with white zin grapes. I poured it all back in the primary and it took off in just a few hours. Accept I waited like 3 days. End result should still be the same. Good luck.

Yep just swap out some of the must thats going good for some of the must tasts not but fermenting it all togehter is a much better option, why are you doing this in carboys, not a good idea as the yeast will not get enough 02 and there isnt enough room for C02 to get oiut which causes the volcano.

Thanks

Just transfered it back to primary. My SG is up, hopefully it will be okay. I have red Syrah and Merlot still in primarys they seem fine. 30 cases with a new desteamer, well worth the money.

It came from Italy via Montreal. I paid $750 canadian and it is brand new. Worked well. Fast and easy to clean. It weights about 40 pounds, is about 4 feet long and it has an optional stand and shute, which i did not get. I rested it on a 3 foot tote and it caught all the grapes and shot the stems out the end.

Hehehe, I meant tell me about the press being worth the money, I know all about crusher destemmers! hehehe

The destemmer was well worth the money. But i did get a used press for $250. I will let you know how the wine turn out. How long should i leave the white in the primary? I pressed it Sunday into carboys and transfered it back to the primary tonight.

Back