Pineapple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris400

Reaction score
Just racked a pineapple from primary to secondary last night with a sg of .998 im using the dragons blood recipe for this...this morning i am starting to pick up a egg smell to it...what do i need to do to save it

You will usually get two suggestions, one is to splash it back and forth into a primary bucket a couple or times. The other is to stir with a copper pipe. I usually use the first suggestion and it has always helped.

Ok i splash racked the pineapple from the carboy back to a sanitized bucket and then back to a new sanitized carboy ....how long should i expect it to take to work and rid the smell

its lots better today and has lost almost all the smell .....i went ahead and sorbated it and added sparklelloid to start the clearing.(man this stuff has lots of sediment) ill rack again when clear and keep yall up to date on it

Sounds good,did you use whole fruit or pineapple juice.

Last edited:
Ok my pineapple still has a rotten egg smell ...not as bad as it was but hasent completley went away ...i had sparklelloid and sorbated it...so i have now splash racked again and got it off of the sediment that had dropped out of it and using a wine whip and my drill i degassed again but it still is not clear...also should i do anything else to rid the smell or have i done to much

i may need to give mine another shot of k-meta after reading that. surely it want hurt it i havent added any to it sence the first time i put it in to the secondary about 2 weeks ago.

Did you read the thread I mentioned? It might be helpful in identifying what is wrong. Splash racking might not be the worst idea in the world depending on how long ago the smell developed.

Just wondering btw, how much sulfite have you been putting in the wine and how often?

Ya i read it ...i just checked mine again this morning and mak have found the whole problem...its been in my secondary and i have just been smelling the top untill i read the thread and i used a thief this morning to get it in a glass and smell it....noticed a strong alchaol smell and checked the sg again and found it to be .994 from a original sg reading of 1.100 so i have made rocket fuel...so now the question is how do i tame this down?

You are at about14% abv, the only way to lower that is blend in something with less alcohol. Either plain pineapple juice or a wine with less alcohol. Be sure to sorbate before adding more pineapple juice

Thig it has been sorbated once already if i add more pineapple juice do i really need to sorbate again?

Back