Pineapple Wine From Juice?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our dreams there is summer...kind of nice to have a break tho. In our wines we enjoy the fruits of the sun.
Guess we make up for these long winters during the summer months when the sun is up for so long.Have had friends from Ohio and California visit in the summer and by about 9:30 PM they ask if that sun is ever going to set....rises in the far North East....sets in the far North West....
I am originally from Northern Canada [Edmonton] so am use to the seasonal changes....[don't like winter]...My Honey is from California and loves winter...hope the novelty will wear off someday.
Think Hawaii would be like Heaven....fruits, nuts, warmth, sun....fresh fruits all year.....ahhh....we can only dream.Edited by: Northern Winos

Been collecting recipes for Pineapple wine using frozen concentrated juice...it seems most of them only use 1 can of Pineapple per gallon as well as other juices, like Apple or Niagara Grape juices. I would like a predominant Pineapple flavor, and plan on making a 6 gallon batch.
Would ...lets say 8 cans of Pineapple frozen concentrate, 6 cans frozen apple and 12 pounds of bananas work???? As well as sugar and all the usual additives....???
I would like the Pineapple to shine through....should I use more Pineapple juice, or is it too strong???? Too acidy???? Or would more than 8 cans of Pineapple be too much?????
Thanks!!!!!
2006-01-02_131953_huh.gif

I don't see that it should be a problem. When I made my last batch one of the cans of grape juice concentrate was questionable so I added a can of pineapple in it's place. That I believe is a 5 gallon batch. I personally would do what you're suggesting, but the acid will need to be dealt with, and I don't do that. (I do have my own wine chemist on staff though.
smiley2.gif
)

Thanks PWPrincess...I am not good at the acid thingy...just kind of wing-it.Know that's not right, but just use the test strips and go for the orangey areas...Been lucky up to now, wines aren't too bad, but maybe they could be even better.....
2006-01-02_135901_icon_question.gif

Thanks also for the info on letting the bananas set a bit longer....they smelled better the darker they got, they seemed sweeter too, tried to get them cut and frozen before they got sticky....then ran into the little grocers and got some more... I have been peeling and freezing them, but loose some weight when the peels and bruises are trimmed off....but they are cheap enough.
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

NW,

I tried a Jack Keller recipe with canned pineapple fruit. This was some of the harshest wine I have made! I only made a gallon, and have had it bottled now for a couple of months. Time is a wonderful thing, especially when it comes to changing flavors in wine. I'll give it a year and try it and determine if this is something that I want to try again.

Pat

Oh My!!!!This does not sound good....
2006-01-02_201704_comfused.gif

'Harsh' was not the words I was hoping to hear....I want to sparkle this wine, or at least half of it. Was hoping maybe Apple and Banana would be good with the Pineapple...Think I will still go for it tho....got a few days before a carboy is empty, so...will ponder it a bit more...
Thanks for your input tho....always good to get other opinions.

One of my favorite wines is this:

Pineapple White Grape(1 gallon)

1 can of Dole Pineapple juice concentrate( or use the canned pineapple juice to = 64 oz and don't add the water)

1 can Welch's frozen Niagara Grape juice( or use bottled white grape juice to = 64 oz and don't add the water)

test to adjust acid

1 tsp. yeast nutrient

1 tsp bentonite

1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme

sugar(start with 1.5 cups of sugar- test and add sugar to bring to proper SG, if needed)

wine yeast (I suggest champagne yeast)

Mix together sugar,bentonite acid blend and yeast nutrient .Stir together well. Add juices, water(if needed),and pectic enzyme.

After 12 hours, add pre-started yeast.

Proceed as usual

Enjoy!
smiley1.gif

Northern Winos said:
Been collecting recipes for Pineapple wine using frozen concentrated juice...it seems most of them only use 1 can of Pineapple per gallon as well as other juices, like Apple or Niagara Grape juices. I would like a predominant Pineapple flavor, and plan on making a 6 gallon batch.
Would ...lets say 8 cans of Pineapple frozen concentrate, 6 cans frozen apple and 12 pounds of bananas work???? As well as sugar and all the usual additives....???
I would like the Pineapple to shine through....should I use more Pineapple juice, or is it too strong???? Too acidy???? Or would more than 8 cans of Pineapple be too much?????
Thanks!!!!!
2006-01-02_131953_huh.gif

You might try using 5 cans of pineapple and 7 cans of apple or white grape,since you want to also add the bananas- I'm afraid I agree with PolishWineP- you may end up too acidic with that much pineapple for a 6 gallon batch. The addition of the bananas will add so much to body and mouthfeel!And I think you will still taste the pinepple really well.

Just a suggestion..

You could leaveyour recipe as is, just watch the acid levels.
smiley32.gif

I made a Cherry/Niagra wine that was "harsh" to me at bottling, but withonly a couple of months in the bottle, has made a huge transformation (my best wine)!

I'm new to wine making and did not check PH or Acid levels, so my pineapple could have been lacking or have too much of something. I just followed the recipe and let 'er go
smiley20.gif

Pat

WOW!!!! Thanks for all your input...I am definitely going to make some Pineapple/Apple/Banana Wine....and real soon.

Thanks Ms. Spain for your recipe, I have come across your recipe for Pineapple Wine a couple times in my searches, and appreciate it.

We just bottled your recipe for Welch's Concord [purple] Grape Wine....I tweaked it a bit and added 2-500 ml bottles of WineExpert Red Grape Concentrate....don't know if the Red Concentrate added to the end result or not.... my Honey and I love it....!

Might be our new favorite wine...next to Sparkling Apple-----The Specialty of this House.

We are trying the bottle that didn't get totally full and wonder if it could get better with age....

Will be starting another batch of Welch's Concord Grape/Red Grape fairly soon...But, next up is the Pineapple Medley and then a Welch's Niagara/White Grape...So, thanks to everyone who has given me the courage to try the grocery store products...the wine is very acceptable...
smiley32.gif
2006-01-03_161701_al_coholic.gif

Northern Winos said:
WOW!!!! Thanks for all your input...I am definitely going to make some Pineapple/Apple/Banana Wine....and real soon.

Thanks Ms. Spain for your recipe, I have come across your recipe for Pineapple Wine a couple times in my searches, and appreciate it.

We just bottled your recipe for Welch's Concord [purple] Grape Wine....I tweaked it a bit and added 2-500 ml bottles of WineExpert Red Grape Concentrate....don't know if the Red Concentrate added to the end result or not.... my Honey and I love it....!

Might be our new favorite wine...next to Sparkling Apple-----The Specialty of this House.

We are trying the bottle that didn't get totally full and wonder if it could get better with age....

Will be starting another batch of Welch's Concord Grape/Red Grape fairly soon...But, next up is the Pineapple Medley and then a Welch's Niagara/White Grape...So, thanks to everyone who has given me the courage to try the grocery store products...the wine is very acceptable...
smiley32.gif
2006-01-03_161701_al_coholic.gif

You are quite welcome!
smiley1.gif
I make a lot of scratch wines from locally grown ingredients(and ingredients from the land I own).But in the winter, these store-bought concentrates come in handyThat way, my Blackberry and Blueberry and wild plum and persimmonwine can spend the time in the bottle that they need, and I always have great wine ready to drink!

2006-01-07_153308_banana_hula.gif
Started the Banana/Pineapple/Apple Medley yesterday....Cooked up the bananas...[what thick stuff]Put the Benonite in the blender like PWP said, added it to the banana pulp, added the frozen juices and other additives....couldn't take a Hydrometer reading because the must was so thick....screamed for HELP
2006-01-07_153604_smileyhelp.gif
Used Curt's suggestion of the wire colander trick and got some liquid out and tested the S.G.added more suger...Have since added the peptic enzyme, yeast nutrient and waiting for the yeast to culture....will this stuff ferment being this thick???? Should I have put the banana pulp in a straining bag?
2006-01-07_154124_icon_question.gif

Sounds like you still have time to throw it all in the bag. It will surely be alot easier for you to "punch down" once the fermentation is under way. Definitely alot easier when you need to remove all the pulp etc. prior to transferring later. No worries about oxygen, the yeast will need all it can get at this point assuming that you are ready to add the yeast culture.

It came out ok...drinkable but not really great. Maybe is just needs more aging.

Maui Joe said:
Sounds like you still have time to throw it all in the bag.  It will surely be a lot easier for you to "punch down" once the fermentation is under way.  Definitely a lot easier when you need to remove all the pulp etc. prior to transferring later.  No worries about oxygen, the yeast will need all it can get at this point assuming that you are ready to add the yeast culture.

By the time the yeast was ready to add to the primary, the thick must seemed a lot thinner...It was totally different than the thick creamy must of last night and this morning.Does the Peptic Enzyme or some of the chemical additives break down the fruit pulp?? I think it will be good to go...smells so good, would be good with some ice cream in the blender.
2006-01-07_190324_banana_dance.gif

Masta,

I made my Strawberry shortly after you did yours..I'm not too impressed with mine also. Time might tell differently.

I am going to start a Lychee wine tomorrow. Got gifted about 10 lbs. of this and the wife is screaming already about taking over the freezer.
smiley19.gif

Northern Winos said:
Maui Joe said:
Sounds like you still have time to throw it all in the bag. It will surely be a lot easier for you to "punch down" once the fermentation is under way. Definitely a lot easier when you need to remove all the pulp etc. prior to transferring later. No worries about oxygen, the yeast will need all it can get at this point assuming that you are ready to add the yeast culture.

By the time the yeast was ready to add to the primary, the thick must seemed a lot thinner...It was totally different than the thick creamy must of last night and this morning.Does the Peptic Enzyme or some of the chemical additives break down the fruit pulp?? I think it will be good to go...smells so good, would be good with some ice cream in the blender.
2006-01-07_190324_banana_dance.gif

Yes, the pectic enzyme helps to break down the pulp.And of course, the little yeasties break it down through fermentation.It also helps the wine clear faster.

I've definitely seen a difference in the first batch of pineapple wine I made(no pectic enzyme-after a year, it was still not as clear as I would have liked for it to have been.) and some of the later bottles of pineapple wine that I did add pectic enzyme to.Any juice that is cloudy, or fruit wines frome crushed/pressed fruit, will greatly benefit from pectic enzyme

And guess what? You can still at this point dumpall of it through the bag and let it get happy! This will cut you some aggrevation on when you transfer the wine. The fine lees will settle, the bulky ones will get trapped in the bag, and you'll have a more pleasant time syphoning the clear later when you are ready. Still "no worries" about the oxygen, the yeasts "love it at this point!"
smiley17.gif

Thanks Maui
2006-01-08_063303_banana_tree.gif
For all your time and input. I think I'll just let it go in the primary this time....good leasons..learned the hard way. I only have 1 straining bag and this is a 6 gallon batch...so, got to order more bags....It is alot thinner now. Some of the thickness must have been foam from the Bentonite in the blender, plus I ran the bananas through lightly. The Bentonite in the primary is a new experience for me too, will it help firm up the lees???
Starting to smell good in here already.....so just waiting to be able to taste it...
2006-01-08_063718_banana_jump_rope.gif

Back