Pineapple Wine From Juice?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bentonite in the primary will certainly help in racking! Just be sure you hold the racking can above the lees!
smiley36.gif
We've used bentonite in many a primary mixing.

We have spigots on the primary buckets, so hope that the lees are below the spigots...kind of a mystery there as to the depth of the lees...might tilt the buckets for awhile too, rise the spigot up higher in the front...just a few days to wait.
2006-01-08_101555_luxhello.gif

Well... all that banana/pineapple/apple juice fruit started to ferment and formed a fluffy cap ontop of the primary buckets, I stirred it down, and left....I was sitting out on the lake in a fish house wondering about this...???? Wondering how all this stuff would ever fit through a spigot or a racking cane????[See...I really never did a wine with bulky fruit stuff in the must before, always used clear juices] So, I came home and did pour the batch into some straining bags [ended up there was 2 of them in my box of 'tricks']....Did a good sanitizing of everything and poured the must into the bags...so now I have to wonder...... about how do you get the good juices out of the musty-bags when it is done fermenting....just drain the buckets???? And then squeeze those bags????? Sure is messy compared to juice wines...but the smell is great.Hope I didn't screw this up??????
2006-01-09_170237_question2.gif

Don't squeeze. You'll squidge everything out!
smiley11.gif
You may want to set it in a sanitized collander set in a sanitized bowl to collect the goodness of the fruits, but don't squeeze that bag! Ewe!

Pull the bags before you rack. Don't worry too much about getting chunks in the carboy when you rack. That happens. Just try to leave some of it behind.

Good luck!
smiley36.gif

WOW!!!What an active ferment going on around those bags...it's just boiling in there...wonderful smells...glad I did as you all said and put the must in the bag...kind of late in the game, but looks like it will be okay. Thanks all!!!
2006-01-09_202118_banana_hair.gif

The pineapple/banana/apple wine fermented down to 1.002, so I racked it into a carboy today. Took the bags of pulp out and let them drain in a screen colander set on top of a jar in a Stainless pot [all sanitized]....sure lost alot of volume, but should have 5 gallons of good wine, wanted 6. Sure am glad I took you all's advise and poured the pulp into staining bags...Thank You...Thank You...Thank You!!!!
I have never handled bags of pulp before, emptied them out and put the pulp on the compost pile...hoping the 'rascal rabbit' will dine on the pulp tonight and be a tad less skittish in the morning and we can blast the little devil, know he is out chewing on shrubs and trees.
Anyway, I am sure that we are suppose to recycle these mesh bags...I rinsed them pretty good, ran them through the washing machine without detergent with hot water, turned them inside out and washed them again...they look clean.....Is this what you all do with your straining bags????
Tasted the must,can taste the pinapple...think it will be very dry....good for ***sparkling*** Can't really taste any banana....

2006-01-11_183141_banana_punk.gif
2006-01-11_183738_banana_hula.gif
2006-01-11_183834_banana_hair.gif
2006-01-11_183927_banana_dance.gif
2006-01-11_183944_banana.gif
2006-01-11_183959_banana_bye.gif

An Update on the Pineapple/Banana/Apple wine......it has turned a billiant clear amber color in the carboy and set another batch of lees.....we racked to another carboy and I tasted it ......hummm!!!!....can tate the Pineapple which is good....but the Banana taste came through more than I wanted.....and the texture is kind of '''''oily'''''....?
Will the 'oily' viscosity go away with aging???????.....We will rack and taste in another month or so..more updates then....
2006-02-07_193840_banana_bye.gif

Northern Winos said:
An Update on the Pineapple/Banana/Apple wine......it has turned a billiant clear amber color in the carboy and set another batch of lees.....we racked to another carboy and I tasted it ......hummm!!!!....can tate the Pineapple which is good....but the Banana taste came through more than I wanted.....and the texture is kind of '''''oily'''''....?
Will the 'oily' viscosity go away with aging???????.....We will rack and taste in another month or so..more updates then....
2006-02-07_193840_banana_bye.gif

I think you will be pleasantly surprised in a few more months.I(try)to letBanana wine stay about 6 months in the bottle.HUGE difference from bottling timetill 6 months later.I think the banana flavor will "calm down" a little, and everything should smooth out and mellownicely.

I'd keep racking till clear and no more lees dropping out,do a bench test to see if/how much sweetening you want to do(or not do).Then bottle and try real hard not to touch it at least 4 months-preferably six.I think you will be pleased with the results!
smiley32.gif

Thanks Ms. Spain...will try to let it sit, at this tasting it looks like it will be easy to lay-off of that one...
The actual flavor of the Pineapple was good, the banana texture and taste was surprsing...I used less bananas than suggested...
But like you said, it gets better with age....just like us!!!
smiley4.gif

Another Update.....came time to bottle the Pineapple/Banana/Apple Medley, as well as the Niagara from juice wines.

2006-03-22_102141_Racking_A.jpg

The Niagara is on the left, we really like it....don't know if it's good or not, but we like it...very 'Foxy'...good from the get-go. Used a mix of Niagara and WineExpert White Grape Concentrate....love it...
smiley4.gif

2006-03-22_102706_Blanc_de_Blanc_B.jpg

Then there is the Pineapple/Banana/Apple on the right...it still had the strong banana flavor and ....."not our cup of tea".....
2006-03-22_102452_banana_no.gif

Ms. Spain and others say to let it age for a long while...that will be easy to do with this one...
My Honey and I toyed with names for it.....He thought..'PIMPY HAIR POMADE'....I went for ones like ....'HEARTBURN FROM HELL'...or...'BANANA LAMP OIL'....but we were kind and just gave it a common name....'TROPICAL MEDLEY'

2006-03-22_103256_Tropical_Medley_C.jpg

Hope the Tropical Medley will loose some of the Banana flavor over time, I had hoped for more Pineapple flavor on this one.....think I will try a gallon of Pineapple wine sometime just to try and get the flavor I wanted.....Thanks everyone for your inputs.....this may still turn into a good one....
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

i bet they will turn into some good wine.

I had a similar experience with my banana. Was a big letdown for me. It smelled so good along the way, but taste was blech!

Pretty bottles. I would have opted for the pimpy hair title.

Hello, I have no recipe, but if you like pineapple and wine and possibly grow your own fruit check out www.isons.com they are a nursery and have a patented bronze variety of muscadine called "Pineapple". I happened to have planted one 3 yrs.ago and last year it was loaded and did have distinct pineapple flavor. I'm new to wine making and haven't tried it but your post 'rang a bell' and I believeI will try a batch this summer. Thanks.....
smiley20.gif

Back