Pineapple Wine From Juice?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made Pineapple Wine from canned or frozen juices?????
Saw a TV show the other day from Hawaii and they had Sparkling Pineapple Wine....My Gosh!!!!That sounds so good....
With a 'fruit-less' winter ahead was hoping someone might have made Pineapple Wine with those cans of Dole juice or frozen concentrate before..if so....would love the recipe.
Thanks! NW

This is what I found in my collection of recipes....

Ingredients

1.3 Liter Canned Pineapple Juice
250g Grape Juice Concentrate
900g Sugar
2 Teaspoon Citric Acid
½ Teaspoon Tannin
3 Liters Water
Chablis Yeast And Nutrient

Instructions

Dissolve the sugar and acid in 2 liters of warm water and when cool pour into fermentation jar. Add the canned pineapple juice, grape juice concentrate and tannin. The yeast and nutrient should be added in the form of a starter, having been made up previously to ensure fermentation gets off to a good start. Fit an airlock and ferment out.

Frozen grape juice concentrate does not seem to be available in Canada..only grape cocktail, so I have dismissed recipes that have called for grape juice concentrate. Is there a subsitution for 1 can of frozen grape concentrate?????

JC

Do you havebottled grape juice that does not have to be recontstituted and doesn't have a slew of chemicals in it? I would think that you'd be able to use that and drop the added water.

MedPretzel...Martina....Thanks for the recipe. How would you describe the wine...dry?? Flavorful???Do you think it would make a good sparkling wine???
I have seen a few other recipes OnLine and some don't seem to have much juice in them...so the pineapple juice flavor must really come through.
Not ready to start this one yet, going to gather a few more recipes and compare and then go for it sometime this winter....sounds like a good summertime wine.
smiley17.gif

Pineapple /NiagaraWhite Grape is one of my favorite "whites". It is great, even as a fairly young wine. I use the same recipe basically as Martina, but I would also add pectic enzyme, so it will clear properly( or bentonite, in the same method as a kit wine).I never thought about trying that as asparkling wine-what a great idea!
smiley1.gif

Oh, I usually use the good old Dole pineapple juice.I've used frozen and canned with good results.Edited by: ms.spain

jcnoren said:
Frozen grape juice concentrate does not seem to be available in Canada..only grape cocktail, so I have dismissed recipes that have called for grape juice concentrate. Is there a subsitution for 1 can of frozen grape concentrate?????

JC
You can also use frozen canned apple juice in place of the white grape juice- this also makes a nice wine, with a slight variation in the flavor.(but still very good!)

ms.spain said:
Pineapple /Niagara White Grape is one of my favorite "whites". It is great, even as a fairly young wine. I use the same recipe basically as Martina, but I would also add pectic enzyme, so it will clear properly( or bentonite, in the same method as a kit wine).I never thought about trying that as a sparkling wine-what a great idea!
smiley1.gif

Oh, I usually use the good old Dole pineapple juice.I've used frozen and canned with good results.

Thanks Ms. Spain....I will be trying this sometime this winter.
On another forum you gave me your recipe for Welch's Concord Grape Wine....I made it and it is almost ready to bottle...it is tasting much better than I thought it would be.
smiley17.gif
I tweaked your recipe a bit, I added 2 500 ml bottles of WineExpert Red Grape Concentrate to it....only because I had been putting those 2 bottles into all my fruit wines, and thought it might give it a boost...? It is like a nice Chianti...but maybe with a little age it might get even better....thought of oaking it but maybe the next batch.
Thanks!!!!

jcnoren said:

JC

You can always substitute a can of grape juice concentrate with a handful of chopped/mashed raisins. I like the sultanas (white raisins) for lighter wines like this one. The dark ones are good for darker wines, but you can use either/or for any each wines. I think this is just a personal preference.

I looked into my wine-cellar tonight and found that I had made (probably 1-gallon of) pineapple-grape wine. It is labeled "February 2004" which means I started it in Feb 2004.

I'm having a bit of it now.

Very light, very nice. I didn't have a filter then, and I was new to winemaking, so it has quite a few floaters.

I will dig around and see if I can find my recipe for you. I'm not the best on keeping notes so I hope I don't disappoint you.

All I can say is that I probably used canned pineapple or pineapple juice. I know I couldn't afford anything else at that time in my life.

I'll keep you up-dated.

M.

Okay, this is the recipe I have in my file (adapted from JK's site - dowloaded on 12/25-2003!!!) - My adaptations are in bold:
<UL>
<LI>2 16-oz. cans of cubed pineapple</LI>
<LI>2 lbs sugar</LI>
<LI>1 11.5 oz can of red grape concentrate</LI>
<LI>7 pts water</LI>
<LI>1 tsp acid blend</LI>
<LI>1 crushed campden</LI>
<LI>1/2 tsp pectic enzyme</LI>
<LI>1/4 tsp tannin</LI>
<LI>1 tsp yeast nutrient</LI>
<LI>1 pkt Montrachet yeast</LI>[/list]

After 2 years in the bottle (roughly), it tastes very light -- no pineapple smell or taste is noticeable. Tastes like a nice, white wine, pretty sweet.

I have in my notes my SG was 1.090....

In my wine, there is no hint of pink. It's hard to believe that I used red-grape concentrate, but it says so, so I did it.

You would never know that it's from pineapple. (Good? Bad? Tastes pretty good!
smiley32.gif
)

My husband's notes (tonight): Very good, he even guessed it was pineapple (he said he has to concentrate on the "undertones" when tasting my wines, and he guessed correctly). He said that it was "fruity" and "sweet" and very clear. He said the acid was correct and that the sweetness was perfect for the wine as well. He also said, "This wine needs to go to your fair." (i.e. should be entered into our county fair competition)

I'd trust my hubby's opinion, rather than mine.
smiley5.gif
He's not a wine-connoiseur, but he has a much better palate than I do. When I dated him and when we went to wine-cellars, he would always say how "a hint of anise" was detectable in a wine, where I just said, "I like it!"...

Sorta like "Sideways!"
smiley36.gif

Hope this helps you,

Martina

Thanks...good descriptions on both your parts...I kind of hope it to have a taste of pineapple...and will probably ***Sparkle*** half a batch.
Now I need more carboys!!!! And more space to ferment...doing it in the kitchen is good...I can adore it daily...think the table or chair has to go tho, need more room. Thanks again!!!

Took a ride into our little nearby towns and went to the grocery stores today....One store had Old Orchard juices on sale...64 ounce plastic bottles....I bought 2 cases of White Grape [Didn't have my glasses and couldn't read all the additives...DUHHH!!!]

Guess it will be okay...????It contained ascorbic acid, citric acid...[those are acceptable], but the juice also contained Calcium Gluconate and Calcium Lactate.....Google Searched those two additives and guess they are just some types of salts...is this correct????

Also mentioned Potassium Metabisulfate...so will do as the people on the Forum say and not add anymore and stir occasionally during the first 24 hours before pitching the yeast.Think I will still pick up some frozen White Grape Concentrate and use them both in various wine recipes. Is it correct that a 64 oz bottle of reconstituted juice is about the same as a 12 oz carton for frozen concentrate????????

Also grabbed some frozen Pineapple and frozen Apple Concentrates today....and...it looked like bananas haven't been selling well over the Holidays and the grocer had bags of ripe bananas for .25 cent$ a bag...about 5# pounds in each bag. Going into the BIG town next week and will go to the Wally/World SuperStore and pick up more frozen juices.....

So...I feel there will be a Tropical Fruit Medley Wine in the future....life is good on de-range.Edited by: Northern Winos

I made an interesting batch of wine one time, that came out AWESOME!

I used (one frozen concentrate can each) pineapple, white grape, apple and white grape peach.Of course, this made 2 gallons.I placed all juices in the primary, added sugar to pring to proper SG, all the usual stuff, then transferred after about 6 days to 2 -1 gallon jugs.It's an odd sized batch, but it is good! This might be cool to add bananas to, and make it a 3 gallon batch...
smiley1.gif
Hey, I may have to try that!

I finally called it "Hawaiian Delight"!

Ok- here's an update... I broke open a bottle of the afore-mentioned "Hawaiian Delight" and my last bottle of banana. I added about 2 oz of banana to 3 oz Hawaiian Delight- WOW!!!!!I wish I had thought of adding the bananas at the beginning, and made a 3 gallon batch!!!
smiley32.gif

It really is "summer in a bottle"!

Thanks ms.spain and now I won't be able to go down the frozen food isle at the grocery store without thinking about making some Hawaiian Delight!
smiley36.gif

Okay! Now I have to go to the grocery! I want to start a batch of wine! All this summer in a bottle talk is causing great pressure on my resistance!

***MUST BE STRONG! MUST STAY HOME AND HELP POOR BERT BOTTLE MANY WINES IN NEED OF BOTTLING!! MUST BE STRONG!***

***MUST BE STRONG! MUST STAY HOME AND HELP POOR BERT
BOTTLE MANY WINES IN NEED OF BOTTLING!! MUST BE STRONG!***

Ha-ha... Fat chance in the middle of winter in MN! Summer for us
northerners is a long way away
smiley36.gif

Back