Pine Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with a different design. Smaller but gets the job done. A 4" hole saw was too pricey. My total cost was $44.00.

This picture came out dark will take a better one l8r.

image-4264020398.jpg

I went with a different design. Smaller but gets the job done. A 4" hole saw was too pricey. My total cost was $44.00.

That's about the design I was figuring on for the rack in my cellar. I assume those are 1x2" going from front to back for the rails? 1x4 from left to right? I need to make a rack probably about 6' wide and about 5' high. I was planning on 2 36" wide units. Mine will be in the our unfinished basement where the wine making occurs. right now I have a steel shelving unit that has alot of dead space.

jamesngalveston said:
hey, there is 24 empty slots, better get busy...
nice looking wine rack.

Got 5 gallons of DB about ready. 5 gallons of WECoastal red, and 5 gallons of skeeter pee.

Oh oh I need another rack. LOL

ffemt128 said:
That's about the design I was figuring on for the rack in my cellar. I assume those are 1x2" going from front to back for the rails? 1x4 from left to right? I need to make a rack probably about 6' wide and about 5' high. I was planning on 2 36" wide units. Mine will be in the our unfinished basement where the wine making occurs. right now I have a steel shelving unit that has alot of dead space.

I'd be happy to post the directions but yes your on the right track. I like the fact that the bottle are fully supported instead of just the end. Also no fancy cuts. You could do this whole thing with a miter saw.

I'd be happy to post the directions but yes your on the right track. I like the fact that the bottle are fully supported instead of just the end. Also no fancy cuts. You could do this whole thing with a miter saw.

I'd be interested in your spacing between the 1X2's. I was thinking of getting something started this weekend. I was considering adding a cleat under the 1X4's from front to back as well so they were not solely supported by the screws in from the sides.

Very nice job by the way...

I need to build a rack soon and I was thinking along these lines. In my mind I was thinking about using a large dowel rod for the bottles to rest in between, but I think your approach may be simpler and probably a tad cheaper. This is going in a closet so looks aren't important; I doubt mine will look as good as yours, LOL. Thanks for sharing.

As for spacing I was thinking about centering each support on a typical bottle width plus about 1/4 inch gap. Sound about right?

My rack is 40" tall. I used 1x4's for the sides, 31" wide. And 11" deep. I started by making a ladder out of 1x4's and 1x2's. the 1x2's at my hardware store looked horrible so i ripped 1x4's for a better look. The 1x2's have 2" spacing. Works good for 750ml and 1.5ml bottles. Each shelf is spaced on 5" centers. You could cut that spacing down a lot for more storage. I like the extra gap for looks.

The top I used was a piece of maple we had laying around. I liked the two toned finish but it does skew my true cost. Top is 36" x 13"

Hope this is clear. If you have questions let me know. This would be really cheap with standard quality pine.

ffemt128 said:
I'd be interested in your spacing between the 1X2's. I was thinking of getting something started this weekend. I was considering adding a cleat under the 1X4's from front to back as well so they were not solely supported by the screws in from the sides.

Very nice job by the way...

I glued all the joints along with the screws.

Thanks for that detail Kryptonite. I am thinking of just using furring strips; dirt cheap. Only time stands in my way now...

Latest posts

Back