Pine Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinerBob1

Reaction score
Thought I would share my wine rack. Wanted something sturdy, mobile, and good looking. The picture has 3 racks side-by-side. Each holds 72 bottles except the 1st one on the right that I made out of an old shelving unit - it holds 60. Fun weekend project.

image-575612307.jpg

image-2982761599.jpg

looks good. you may want to make sure there sturdy or secure them to the wall if you haven't already

I'm assuming you used a hole saw to make your cuts then ripped the board. What size hole saw did you use? Did you router the edges with a 1/4 round bit? I'm planning on making one in a few weeks and that's how my design is going in my head.

Looks more like a jig saw cut or band saw, that would be some huge hole saw.

Thig said:
Looks more like a jig saw cut or band saw, that would be some huge hole saw.

I have a 6" hole saw for making bean bag games and was thinking of using that.

KW - you are correct. The holes are 4". I used a 1 x 8 which for 6 wine bottles is sturdy enough. If you make the racks longer (more than 8 bottles across) you may want to go with a wider board to hold the weight of full wine bottles. I drew a center line on the board and marked the center of the 4" holes. The circles have a 1/2" space between them. When I drew the center line, I also drew a line a 1/2" on both sides of the center line. After the holes are cut out, I then ripped down both lines next to the center line. Makes the rack look better than a perfect half circle. Naturally after you rip the lines you end up with 2 racks. My wine rack is 30" across, so with the 3/4" thick sides, my racks are 28 1/2" long. Make sure you have at least 1" on the ends of the racks to allow for enough wood to handle the screws to hold them to the sides.

Thig said:
Dang, how big a drill does it take to turn that thing?

I'm just cutting plywood so a regular hand drill gets it done.

Winner bob. Do you mind me copying your design. They came out great. Mine need to be 36" wide.

Last edited:
kryptonitewine said:
I'm just cutting plywood so a regular hand drill gets it done.

Winner bob. Do you mind me copying your design. They came out great.

Please do - Thanks. Feel free to ask any other questions & have fun.

NICE RACK!!!!

(Mental note: don't say this out loud. I could get called into HR)

Must have taken you quite some time to fashion each shelf. Really nice!

JohnT said:
NICE RACK!!!!

(Mental note: don't say this out loud. I could get called into HR)

Must have taken you quite some time to fashion each shelf. Really nice!

HaHa John -Thanks

Hey WinerBob1!
Could you send me the plans as well? I've been itching to get the power tools out now that the weather is nice!

the_rayway said:
Hey WinerBob1!
Could you send me the plans as well? I've been itching to get the power tools out now that the weather is nice!

Rahway - I do not have plans written down but give me some time and I put something together.

Latest posts

Back