Pierce disease at 3 degrees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
So in North Alabama we hit 3 degrees one night and 6 a few nights. Anyone knowledgeable on pierce disease know if that is enough to suppress the disease for a season or two? I've read the studies that state below 15 degrees for three days will cure pierce disease. Is that three consecutive days below 15 degrees or will really cold spells kill the bacteria?

TIA

dw. Does the temperature kill the bacteria or does it kill the vector for the bacteria?

I've read that below 15 for three days will "cure" vines so I'm guessing it's the bacteria in the vine that is affected.

It will be interesting to see if I can successfully grow vinifera with pierce's disease around. I've yet to see any leafhoppers on the vines. The bluebirds come close and sit on the trellis posts to check me out when I'm working so there is a bit of natural protection happening.

After much deliberation I did apply a systemic in my drip system a month after bud break. If the PD threat line moves south I shouldn't have to do that. I guess this is all part of the learning process. Maybe I'll set up a nearby control group and not use pesticide for use as a canary.

Very interesting. I have yet to detect any Pierce disease in my vines yet ( growing just north of Birmingham). I am using standard pesticide regime and I have a large bird contingency in my area. One aspect I am hoping is the Japanese beetle outbreak we have had over the years might fill the niche for the vector and we will naturally see less disease. I don't know but I am keeping a close eye on my vineyards.

Last summer I inoculated the vineyard with milky spore. It was obvious that I would have a prime crop of japanese beetles this year. I had one small own rooted cab vine on an outside row just get decimated and the other vines would have one or two every time they were checked. I'll let you know how well the milky spore works. I guess it is at least supposed to keep the grubs at bay and prevent establishment.

I'm experimenting with several varieties. Cab. Sauv. loves the sandy soil. I'm growing a few own rooted to test phylloxera pressure. I also have Zin, merlot, malbec, petit manseng, petit sirah, chardonay, barbera, tannat, muscat, reisling, and sangiovese. Most is on 101-14 rootstock but I'm planting a bundle of 110R rootstock next month on a poor hillside for grafting Zin, petit sirah, and petit manseng. From what I've been told and what I have researched there is no such thing as an organically grown vinifera grape in the southeast. You should google imidacloprid.

Latest posts

Back