pictures of pruned grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
If you ever wanted to know what the left over from 500 pruned grapes looked like

009.jpg

Nice picture. So how long did it take to prune all the vines?

What do you usually do with all the prunings afterwards. Dispose of them,compost, burn?

With that much prunings I kinda figured that would be the easiest way to deal with them. I have taken a few classes on grape growing that require practical application time in a vineyard. After helping to finish prune their 3+ acres of vines and piling the clippings with the apple tree prunings their pile was pretty impressive.

I interested in how they piled them, with some sort of machine or by hand, also how did they dispose of them

Its a state university research center so easy machine handling isn't available (No budget for expensive machines). At the end of every days pruning active your expected to collect the prunings in one of their old pick-ups and bring to their burn pile. I got to prune vines at the end of the season so pushing a pick-up bed overflowing with prunings on to the ground and rolling the pile onto the burn pile was a bit of a chore.

It would be interesting to see if a tree service style truck w/chippershredder could be used to help take care of the clean-up and help provide for more material to a compost pile.

Wade, you are right my wife says for being a professional communicater (salesmen)I lack certian skills, you would get along great with her

I still have a small pile of snow in my yard but I still went down to check my grape vine rabbits got a couple of them will have to put chicken wire around them this year but still now sign of budding yet which is good for my area we still have a chance of frost here will wait for three or four weeks yet before pruning grape vine then I will also have about fifty one year old vines to transplant also

Wade, you are right my wife says for being a professional communicater (salesmen)I lack certian skills, you would get along great with her

:) :) :) I'm glad you know that the wife is always right. :p

I'm hoping I can get out and start pruning mine pretty soon. I had another guy take a few tentative steps into the vines today only to exclaim, you know the snow is deeper than you think it is in there!

Racer you can come on up and help prune. Heck we can even use the tractor to remove the brush after!

Grapeman if you were within 3 hours of my place I'd gladly take you up on the offer. Especially if I got to see a complete mechanical removal of the prunings.

Just curious what do you do with your vineyards prunings?

You could keep them and keep rolling them up in an effort to create a Guiness world record!

Grapeman if you were within 3 hours of my place I'd gladly take you up on the offer. Especially if I got to see a complete mechanical removal of the prunings.

Just curious what do you do with your vineyards prunings?

I use a large york rake since I don't have anything better for it. Just drive down the rows and the prunings get caught in the rake and each othr. Most of the time I make it to the end of the row with the mass. I then pull it over to the brush pile. Small bits just get mowed up in place.

Just a thought on an additional revenue stream.... Has anyone ever sold their vine trimmings to a florist or craft person who makes grapevine wreath's?

You could keep them and keep rolling them up in an effort to create a Guiness world record!

I'm getting too old for that kind of fun anymore. Let someone younger have all the glory that comes with trying to set a record. I'll be glad to sit back and watch them while I drink some good homemade wine :dg

Make a number of wrappings around a bucket to form them into a wreath. After decorating a bit, they make nice door decorations for the holidays.

Latest posts

Back