Phase 3

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I'm making my first kit ever. Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean.

Phase 3
After 7-10 days, (Day 16-24) your wine should be clear. If your wine is not completely clear, leave it alone for a few extra days. Do not bottle cloudy wine. If your wine is clear, proceed by following these steps;
1. Rack the wine in a clean and sanitized carboy, leaving behind the clarification sediment found at the bottom.</font>

It looks clear after 3 days. Can I bottle it now? I do have a mini jet filter to boot.

John, I would let it go the full (at least) 7 days if not 10. It may look clear but it could get clearer. Pazienza! As the old saying goes, "Romania wasn't built in a day."

Sounds good. Would you rack (lees) to a clean carboy before filtering? There seems to be lot's of sediments on the bottom.

You dont need to do that, Just keep your cane out of the deep end until the very last second but I agree you should let itt clear awhile more. This will let the lees compact down better thus making it easier not to disturb them when you get near them to rack.

John,
Best advice I got from this forum is don't be in a rush. Best to 'forget' about the wine for awhile and then bottle it once you 'remember'.

You cant rush winemaking...

Rememmber the 3 "P's"

Patience
Patience
Patience

Patience is a four letter word. Saying that, I'm trying. I didn't realize there was this much technology in something so simple. I've enjoyed learning what I have so far and really appreciate this forum. Stay tuned, more dumb questions.

Patience a 4 letter word??

I count 8...LOL

I would rack off the lees before bottling. It's way too easy to stir them up half way through bottling (or filtering). I never filter or bottle unless the bottom of the carboy has no more than a light dust of sediment on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back