pH meter SSLLOOWW..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
The longer I leave the meter in a solution, it continues to change. I get a change every 3 seconds or so. I have to give it at least 5 minutes to insure a stable-ish reading. I have the Hanna Checker.Less than 6 months old to me., The 4.01 buffer checks out alot quicker than the 7.01. TA testing is a pain with the slow rise of numbers.

Any ideas? Bad battery? Probe???

The ultra slow response is an indication that the probe is dirty or bad. You mention it is only 6 months old to you- did you buy it new or used? Most probes let you change the probe so it doesn't need replacing the whole meter.

Thanks for the responce Appleman!

It is brand new, but mabey it sat on a shelf for a long time before I bought it?

I do not have a cleaning solution, I try to rinse it quickly with tap water,followed by a rinse in distilled water, followed by a rinse in 7.01 buffer then store it in the 7.01.

I have noticed that when I check calibration before I use it , I always need to adjust. It is closer on the 4.01 side then on the 7.01 .

Am I messing it up, or may the probe have been going bad before I bought it?

I found that on mine the probe would dry out during storage and do the same. It says to put a drop of solution in the cap for storage but it would dry out and cause the same symptoms. I finally just quit using it and went to the Accu-Vin kits.

As an update. I did contact Hanna about this and told them I boughttheir meter through another retailer and told them the problems I was having. They said they were going to give me a replacement probe since it was so new.

I found that on mine the probe would dry out during storage and do the same. It says to put a drop of solution in the cap for storage but it would dry out and cause the same symptoms. I finally just quit using it and went to the Accu-Vin kits.

Are you still using the Accu-Vin Kits?

@Tnuscan. You probably arn't going to get an answer. This thread is from 2009, only one I have seen on here for a loooong time is Grapeman. Arne.

Latest posts

Back