Ph Meter Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittGrad

Reaction score
Reaching out to ask for opinions on a decent Ph meter. Got burned recently by going with a cheaper meter which ran me about $20 and confirmed the old 'get what you pay for'

That said, i'm not looking to break the bank on anything. I'm making about 10 kits/buckets a year and hoping there might be something out there in the $50-75 range that folks have had consistently good experiences with?

Looked at quite a few with reviews on line and the input can be all over the place. Anyone out there using one they feel strongly about? Really appreciate the input!

I have the Hanna pHep5 for four years now and it has been solid as a rock. 2 decimal places, water proof, still on original battery. $81 on Amazon.

I have the Hanna pHep5 for four years now and it has been solid as a rock. 2 decimal places, water proof, still on original battery. $81 on Amazon.

My only complaint about the phep5 is the digits are so small it's hard to read. I do use it as a digital thermometer though. It's the only one that reads in Fehenrate.

I know some folks have had problems with this guy. Maybe I got a good one. I also like the fact that I don't need a bench top and have to pull a sample from primary. I just stick the guy in the primary and swirl it around a bit then just walk away for a minute or two and it stands up in my (fresh grape) must. Pull it out, on to the next one without even the need for a rinse, swirl in the must for 15 seconds and walk away to let it settle. I rinse well afterwards with fresh cold tap water followed by a hefty squirt of distilled or zero water.

It's the only one that reads in Fehenrate

Is that a new unit of temperature? :)

Appreciate the input. I'll take closer look at both suggestions before deciding which goes on the Christmas list!

I have a love-hate relationship with my pHep 5. Sometimes it works brilliantly and sometimes, I can't even get it to calibrate. I suspect its a bad electrode. But at almost $50 to replace it, I'm not eager to try my theory out.

Have you tried cleaning the electrode?

1) Soak the glass bulb for up to 16 hours in Electrode Cleaning Solution.
2) Rinse in deionized water.
3) Soak the electrode in pH 4 buffer for up to 20 minutes, then rinse with deionized water.

Have you tried cleaning the electrode?

1) Soak the glass bulb for up to 16 hours in Electrode Cleaning Solution.
2) Rinse in deionized water.
3) Soak the electrode in pH 4 buffer for up to 20 minutes, then rinse with deionized water.

So, remove the bulb?

Latest posts

Back