Perry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapollaFarms

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, by way of introduction, I am new to this forum and new to wine making. I'm located in south central Vermont and have started a small vineyard; however, thanks to the local wild turkey population, I have yet to make any wine. While I'm working to solve that problem for next year, I have another, relevant interest: making Perry (pear cider).

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

My interest started when I discovered that bitter astringent pears are excellent for making Perry. For a long time I've wondered why the ancient pear tree on my property was left to grow, because the pears taste awful!

I've done some research, locating an English guide, purchased some analytic tools for measuring PH, Brix, and Titrate-able Acids, all of which are apparently necessary to know. However, I am stuck at a more basic question: how long should I wait between picking the fruit and crushing it. Depending on the pear, the advice I've read varies between 1 day and 8 weeks. I've tried to identify my pears, but haven't come up with anything, yet. There's a picture in an album that I upload.

If anyone can be of help, I'd appreciate your assistance.

Welce,
I have no knowledge @ that Pear. I do know that you want as high a brix as you can get before picking.
I have only made Pear from "over" ripe pears

hello and welcome to the forum..

between three and six weeks.

they need to 'mellow'.. the skins will soften and they will shrink a bit, the sugars will concentrate and they'll be easier to press.

Allie

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us and keep the questions coming. I am sorry I cannot help you but there are some other folks who may.

Howdy Perry,
Welcome to the forum. I have not made wine out of pears yet, but probably next year. Keepus informed how it is going. There are some on hear that have made the pear wine, they will be along to help you. Arne.

Welcome to the forum. The pear looks pretty typical for pears grown in our region. Let them ripen and soften well before beginning. Keep them where it is warm but not hot. Easy to do today seeing the snow flurries we had today. How about you?

Check with Todd at Vermont Wine Media. If he doesn't know how to make it, he can point you in the right direction. A great person. He has contacts the rest of us can only dream about. If you need more informatin to contact him, PM me and I might be able to put you two in touch. He isn't quite as busy now that crush is done for the year.

Welcome

this is an old fashion gritty pear. We use them in the south for pear purserves. They have a very sandy texture. And my uncle makes wine out of them all the time. It is very good.

Welcome Crappolafarms, I too have not made Perry but it sure sounds good! Hope some of my peeps were of help here!

As I understand it, Perry used to be a VERY popular drink back in old Europe. Apparently at one time, it was the most consumed beverage. It then started to fall out of favor and beers and apple cider gained popularity.

I've made pear wine from eating pears. The pear flavor once fermented is quite subtle. Your pears, with their stronger flavor profile might be better suited to fermenting.

I froze my pears prior to crushing and pressing.

OK ...

perry is a favourite here ..the teenagers will drink it, and will become idiots...so ensure it is under lock and key!

Also, be aware that the more 'sandy'/ 'astringent' the pear. There will be more unfermentable sorbates in the mix, this means your wine will ferment dry on a gravity reading, (hydrometer reading)... however, the wine will taste sweet.

So double check before back-sweetening, if you use pears ( I use a mix) instead of apple, ie cider.. Taste before the backsweetening.

Personally I dislike sweeter wines.. and by that I mean..if you hate riesling, pinot gris etc....over-sweetened wines won't improve, they'll just get sweeter.

Allie

I made 11 gallons of perry a few years ago with cote des blancs yeast. They were all from an unknown variety but it sure looked like a bartlett. Since it was varietal and from a dessert type pear it was rather flat when sweet. The yeast helped a lot. Too bad I don't live near that tree anymore. :(

Cummings Nursery outside Ithaca, NY is a terrific place. They sell perry pear trees, which aren't easy to find. I believe Southmeadow has them, too, but can't be sure without checking. Either way, Jim Cummins has probably forgotten more about fruit trees than most anyone else knows. Actually, he probably hasn't forgotten anything. I've spoken to him at length several times and have a Bartlett on ohf x 333, their preferred rootstock for pears. Also have a Michelin cider apple on G.30, which he developed at Cornell U. But I'm digressing...He or Stephen may be able to help identify the pear if you send them a couple.

When I called for help with cider apples Jim was able to recommend a 3 variety mix that pollinated at the same time, cropped at the same time, and would give a balanced cider. All off the top of his head. He really is phenomenal.

On account of this thread I am going to add to my order for next spring. Will add a perry pear of some sort to the 2 Kingston Blacks. :db

Perry (2)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, particularly the two recommendations for expert help.

I have included a few more pictures, showing exterior and interior characteristics, in the gallery that I started yesterday. This is how I would describe the pear:
Stem = 1"
Height = 2"
Diameter = 1-1/2"
Shape = conical or turbinate
Skin color = yellow-green with russet brown speckles, forming small patches on the south side
Flesh = yellow
Original Specific Gravity = 1077

Based on this description and consulting "The Fruit Manual" by Robert Hogg (published in 1885, 5th Edition, available in reprint from Langford Press) I tentatively identified my pear as an "Oldfield," although his description does not exactly match my observation:
"OLDFIELD. -- Fruit, small, an inch and a half to an inch and three-quarters in diameter; round, even and regularly formed. Skin, an uniform greenish yellow when ripe, overed with minute dots, and with a patch of russet round the stalk. Eye, open, with incurved segments, set in a shallow depression surrounded with plaits. Stalk, an inch long, slender, not depressed, but swelling gradually into the fruit. Flesh, yellowish, firm, crisp, and very astringent. This is one of the most popular of the perry pears."

Given the vast number of pear types, this is probably not an exact match, but it gives me a starting point, because it is listed in Gillian Grafton's (now edited and maintained by Paul Gunningham) "Real Cider and Perry Internet page -- (since I don't have 5 posts, I cannot provide the exact link here).

Oldfield is list as an astringent-sharp pear with the following characteristics:
Juice OG = 1065
Acidity = 0.73
Tannin = 0.15
Vintage quality = good
Milling period = 3 - 6 weeks

So, I will wait a few more weeks before crushing and make additional measurements. During this period, I will store the pears in a cool (60 degree), basement location. The danger in the longer wait, according to Grafton, is that the pears will rot, imperceptibly, from the inside, so I will have to do some periodic testing.

In the meantime, I will contact the references given and see whether i can learn more.

Latest posts

Back