WineXpert Perhaps a silly question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
If you wanted to make brandy, would that fall under the "distilling" category which is illegal to homebrew? My great grandfather was a winemaker and I know would make brandy as well, but I am having trouble finding information on the topic.

Has anyone made sherry off a kit before and if so what were your thoughts.

Lenore,

There are kits available to make a brandy not as high in alcohol, not requiring distilling. Here is a link to such a kit-not endorsing it of course. I made this one last year and it isn't bad. I made the Cherry Brandy- 40 proof. Just be careful after making the alcohol not to mistakenly freeze it and drain off the liquid- that would increase the alcohol to illegal levels.
smiley2.gif

http://www.classicliquors.com/

Appleman-

Curious about the techniques to make the brandy from Classic Liquors. Is it similar to kit wine making? Since it doesn't require distilling/has a lower alcohol contentdoes that make it legal for homebrew?

That is a good question can you have your own still and not sell any thing from it just like our wine?

Stills are illegal in the US for personnal use- period. The Classic Liquors use a 1 gallon batch kit like a wine kit. It has everything in it you need to make 5 -750 ml bottles. It takes about a month to make and is actually pretty easy and good. You make your own alcohol that ferments to about 20% alcohol or about 40 proof. You can use vodka to increase the percent but the 40 proof still gives you a pretty good buzz. The yeast is a special yeast that survives higher alcohol levels and they use lost of yeast nutrients. You add charcoal towards the end of the process, but it is hard to get it nice and clear with it. I used a carbon snake, which is like a piece of garden hose you fill with activated charcoal and attach to the bottling bucket spout- works great. I dupicated the process for the alcohol by buying the individual ingredients and made a 6 gallon batch and bought some extract flavorings like George sells and made Christmas presents-everything from Southern Comfort to Triple Sec. I tested with a vinometer and the alcohol was about 24%-48 proof(not to shabby). I won't say too much - but a freezer can be used for more than storing food!
smiley2.gif

appleman said:
Stills are illegal in the US for personnal use- period. The Classic Liquors use a 1 gallon batch kit like a wine kit. It has everything in it you need to make 5 -750 ml bottles. It takes about a month to make and is actually pretty easy and good. You make your own alcohol that ferments to about 20% alcohol or about 40 proof. You can use vodka to increase the percent but the 40 proof still gives you a pretty good buzz. The yeast is a special yeast that survives higher alcohol levels and they use lost of yeast nutrients. You add charcoal towards the end of the process, but it is hard to get it nice and clear with it. I used a carbon snake, which is like a piece of garden hose you fill with activated charcoal and attach to the bottling bucket spout- works great. I dupicated the process for the alcohol by buying the individual ingredients and made a 6 gallon batch and bought some extract flavorings like George sells and made Christmas presents-everything from Southern Comfort to Triple Sec. I tested with a vinometer and the alcohol was about 24%-48 proof(not to shabby). I won't say too much - but a freezer can be used for more than storing food!
smiley2.gif

Care to share the ingredient list andrecipe?

Dave

The easiest recipe is to use a product specifically made for this. Liquor Quik makes a product called SuperYeast X-Press. It is a 4 ounce packet(cost about $5) which contains a special yeast and the yeast nutrients in it. 1 pack will do a 6 gallon batch. The directions on it are easy to follow and it only takes a week or so with this pack as compared to a good month with individual ingredients. The only other real ingredient needed is 17-18 pounds of regular sugar-not dextrose. Use Super-Kleer finings and it clears almost overnight. Then use the charcoal snake and in about 10 days you will have a carboy full of 40 proof. What you do after that is up to you and your imagination.
smiley36.gif

How does that fit in with legal issues? Since no still is involved does that make it legal to home produce? I wonder. I have made my own liquors using vodka and my homeade flavorings for amaretto, anisette, kahlua and irish cream. However I always started out with store bought alcohol. The Irish cream is outrageous and great for gifts. I am happy to share the recipes if anyone wants.

The U.S. Law Concerning Alcohol Production

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=530><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="100%">

The use of a distillation apparatus is not legal in all countries. You should check with your federal, state and local authorities for details and exceptions Believe it or not, there are exceptions. I also include state and local authorities as well, because in the U.S., laws can vary at every level.

The information below was taken verbatim from the official BATF web site.

Distillation of Alcohol and Stills

Under Federal rules administered by ATF, the legality depends on how you use a still. You may not produce alcohol unless you qualify as a distilled spirits plant (see ATF FAQ's page at their web site.) However, owning a small still and using it for other purposes is allowed. You should also check with your State and local authorities - their rules may differ.

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules. If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to ATF requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, ATF considers that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling.

Under regulations in part 170 of title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, ATF has the right to require manufacturers of stills to give them the name and address of each customer. If they choose to impose this requirement, they inform the manufacturer of the stills by letter.

Some people are under the misconception that all home alcohol production is illegal. Below are the legal guidelines for home production of beer and wine.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="100%">

Sec. 24.75
Wine for personal or family use

(a) General. Any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for personal or family use and not for sale.
(b) Quantity. The aggregate amount of wine that may be produced exempt from tax with respect to any household may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year for a household in which two or more adults reside, or
(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
(c) Definition of an adult. For the purposes of this section, an adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. However, if the locality in which the household is located has established by law a greater minimum age at which wine may be sold to individuals, the term ``adult'' will mean an individual who has attained that age.
(d) Proprietors of bonded wine premises. Any adult, defined in Sec. 24.75(c), who operates a bonded wine premises as an individual owner or in partnership with others, may produce wine and remove it from the bonded wine premises free of tax for personal or family use, subject to the limitations in Sec. 24.75(b).
(e) Limitation. This exemption should not in any manner be construed as authorizing the production of wine in violation of applicable State or local law. Except as provided in Sec. 24.75(d), this exemption does not otherwise apply to partnerships, corporations, or associations.
(f) Removal. Wine produced under this section may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, such as home winemaker's contests, tastings or judgings, but may not under any circumstances be sold or offered for sale. The proprietor of a bonded wine premises shall pay the tax on any wine removed for personal or family use in excess of the limitations provided in this section and shall also enter all quantities removed for personal or family use on ATF F 5120.17, Report of Bonded Wine Premises Operations.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1331, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5042))
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1512-0216)
[T.D. ATF-299, 55 FR 24989, June 19, 1991, as amended by T.D. ATF-338, 58 FR 19064, Apr. 12, 1993; T.D. ATF-344, 58 FR 40354, July 28, 1993]

This was last updated on September 17, 1999

Sec. 25.205
Production of Beer

(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to State or local law.
(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
(c) Partnerships except as provided in Sec. 25.207, corporations or associations may not produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1334, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5053))

This was last updated on September 17, 1999

Sec. 25.206
Removal of beer

Beer made under Sec. 25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1334, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5053))

Sec. 25.207
Removal from brewery for personal or family use.

Any adult, as defined in Sec. 25.205, who operates a brewery under this part as an individual owner or in partnership with others, may remove beer from the brewery without payment of tax for personal or family use. The amount of beer removed for each household, without payment of tax, per calendar year may not exceed 100 gallons if there is one adult residing in the household or 200 gallons if there are two or more adults residing in the household. Beer removed in excess of the above limitations will be reported as a taxable removal.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1334, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5053))</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

That sounds like you can fortify wines to your hearts content so long as you
do not use a still to do it.

Adding store bought vodka to a wine would be OK it looks like.

Lenore said:
How does that fit in with legal issues? Since no still is involved does that make it legal to home produce? I wonder. I have made my own liquors using vodka and my homeade flavorings for amaretto, anisette, kahlua and irish cream. However I always started out with store bought alcohol. The Irish cream is outrageous and great for gifts. I am happy to share the recipes if anyone wants.

Making a high-alcohol drink (~20%) only using yeast - whether it is port-style or brandy-style - is legal. To increase the alcohol content by adding high-proof vodka or grain alcohol is also legal. But to make true brandy by distilling to get a higher alcohol content is illegal in the US.

Making your own liquors with vodka and flavoring is legal. I've used several myself (the kahlua and amaretto are pretty good). You can also make homemade fruit cordials/liquors legally (if you don't distill).

I appreciate all of the responses. I have to make it through all these wine kit I bought first, though (darn that George and his 10% discount this month!!). I do have to say that I love the bag de-capper and don't know how I went without it so long!!

Back