Peeling peaches?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
I've read the recipes for peach wine. None of them mention the need to peel the peaches, just stone and slice.
Is it okay to leave the skins on? Should K-meta be added to kill any wild yeast that might be present?
Thanks for the help.

stone and slice is all I do. It wouldn't hurt to give it some k-meta first.

Yes, it's not necessary to peel them. You should always use meta on your musts--mostly for biological control. If you freeze them after you slice them up, you'll have lots of juice. We always freeze them for 24 hours, first. And when thawing fruit, you REALLY need to be sure you meta them or you can get mold growth in the time it takes to thaw a big batch of fruit.

I've read the recipes for peach wine. None of them mention the need to peel the peaches, just stone and slice.
Is it okay to leave the skins on? Should K-meta be added to kill any wild yeast that might be present?
Thanks for the help.

No need to peel, never had.

FWIW, I have made several of the keller peach recipes and really like the peach white grape with about 5 lbs. of peaches per gallon. They are all good, but it seems that one is the peachiest. Very popular at my house.

I usually backsweeten to about 1.005 and it is pretty tasty after about six months.

Oh yeah, leave the skins on.

I made one gal that was really great and cheap and plan on making a full 6 gal while peaches are in season and available at the market for next summer.
Here was the recipe for one gal:
1 Welch white grape and peach frozen concentrate
1.5 lbs peaches (8 quite small)
1.5 lbs sugar (3 cups)
1.5 tsp acid blend
1 tsp nutrients
1 tsp peptic enzyme
1 campden tab

Peaches: just wash, cut in quarters, remove stones, put in a mesh bag, smash and squeeze by hand until no solid remains - in primary bucket of course. Pour over boiling water that was used to dissolve the sugar.

Wine was great summer try out. You could see the peach color in the white wine and clearly taste like peach wine.
Total cost was $8 for one gal.

I made one gal that was really great and cheap and plan on making a full 6 gal while peaches are in season and available at the market for next summer.
Here was the recipe for one gal:
1 Welch white grape and peach frozen concentrate
1.5 lbs peaches (8 quite small)
1.5 lbs sugar (3 cups)
1.5 tsp acid blend
1 tsp nutrients
1 tsp peptic enzyme
1 campden tab

Peaches: just wash, cut in quarters, remove stones, put in a mesh bag, smash and squeeze by hand until no solid remains - in primary bucket of course. Pour over boiling water that was used to dissolve the sugar.

Wine was great summer try out. You could see the peach color in the white wine and clearly taste like peach wine.
Total cost was $8 for one gal.

how much water did you use for the simple syrup?
did you dilute the concentrate?

Wow! I never use less than 4 lbs per gal. Sometimes 6 lbs per gallon. 1.5 lbs per gal seems really low to me. I also add white grape juice, bananas, & strawberrys to kick up the fruit content. I call it B S Peach Wine, ie. banana, strawberry, peach wine !!

Buehler91: Don't recall how much water. More than enough to dilute the sugar. Much less than 1 gal so I have headroom to adjust gravity later on. I just dumped the thawed out concentrate in the fermenter with the hot water / sugar / peaches..

FTC Wines: No less than 4 lbs per gal if you add juice and other fruit seem high to me but to each his own taste.
The way I came up with with the recipe was to look for recipes using only peaches and using only concentrate. What I found from Jack Keller website and my LHBS website was roughly 3 lbs of peaches without juice/concentrate or 2 cans of concentrate without any peaches. Hence I did half and half and added sugar to get gravity I wanted.

Latest posts

Back