Pecan wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had to rack it many times...I have notices less and less oil bubbles on the top of each rack. It sure fermented FAST! And there is a lot of sediment each racking. This last taste test which had no residual sugars left tasted like poop. I know..I know..give it time and backsweeted it. I really want to mix this with my banana!

Can I wager a guess as to MV’s recipe?? I under stand trade secrets and all, so I do not expect confirmation. If I were to do it myself, I’d go down to the store and buy pecan flavoring that a coffee shop may use. It would be mostly sugar with pecan essence.

As non-grapefruit has found out, ,making it directly from pecans is a bit messy. I’m thinking most nut oils would not work. The companies that make flavorings probably use some sort of alcohol or hexane extraction process to get the flavor out. Think almond or vanilla extract.

I've had to rack it many times...I have notices less and less oil bubbles on the top of each rack. It sure fermented FAST! And there is a lot of sediment each racking. This last taste test which had no residual sugars left tasted like poop. I know..I know..give it time and backsweeted it. I really want to mix this with my banana!

like i said. it's possible, even after we open and people end up liking it, that no one else will make this commercially. can you describe the "poop" taste? i mean, what do you think made it? is it the actual flavor of it or something in the recipe?

we will be racking ours this or the next weekend. we only have 2 bottles left, so i cannot wait for it to mature. i will say that it doesn't take long to age. after 6 months, it's ready!

like i said. it's possible, even after we open and people end up liking it, that no one else will make this commercially. can you describe the "poop" taste? i mean, what do you think made it? is it the actual flavor of it or something in the recipe?

we will be racking ours this or the next weekend. we only have 2 bottles left, so i cannot wait for it to mature. i will say that it doesn't take long to age. after 6 months, it's ready!

Let's clear one thing up, first, all. I am GUESSING what poop tastes like, ok? I never have tried it, first-hand. I am going to be re-racking it this weekend and I will try a taste test sweetening it a little to give a better report. No matter what, the end result is still going to be a brown liquid--we all know that would never pass any kind of wine-making test or award due to everyone yelling "oxidation"! Not that I am really trying to win any awards--I make wine for ME. :try

I'm betting that with all the tender loving care you are giving it, it will be fine with some maturing.

Wow this sounds tasty.
You do realize that you are now REQUIRED to send samples to all of us?
:p

Isn't this forum for sharing and helping? posting here that you're making pecan wine but ooohh wait, can't tell you how. Maybe next time just save it IMO.

Visible Fermentation finally stopped on my batch. I racked for the 5th time and taste tested..I can smell the pecan essence, but not taste it much...tastes like bourbon (I think the brown sugar added to that.) I also think there is too much natural tannin in this liquor, so I am considering bentonite fining to mellow it a bit...anyone?

Isn't this forum for sharing and helping? posting here that you're making pecan wine but ooohh wait, can't tell you how. Maybe next time just save it IMO.

we have made our own recipe on this and are planning on using it commercially. do you see any other wineries in here posting up theirs?? i'm letting people know that it can be made good. i try to help when i can.

bentonite will help. it is a very difficult wine to clear. we end up racking it many times before it's ready. it's a labor intensive wine. it really doesn't have a strong pecan flavor. we've tried making it with more pecans, but added fruit flavor really doesn't come through.

I think your wine sounds amazing and I reeeealy wish I could have some shipped here to PA!! Good luck with it!

The Pecan Wine at Endless Summer is amazing. Just tried it last Saturday and loved it. Almost a light bourbon flavor. Awsome

where is the winery

I am about an hour away from Herman. Planning a wine tasting trip to Herman in March. Where exactly is the winery?

Back