pears

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris400

Reaction score
going to be getting a lot of pears soon and was going to have to freeze them after i get them. do i just need to core them and freeze them or do i need to peal them core them and then freeze them..... also do i need to add k-meta before i freeze them or after i thaw them

thanks
chris

did you core them out or just freeze whole pears
and do i use peelings in the ferment or should i peel them

Whole pears, last year I cored, cut up and juiced. My wine taste ok but is brown. This year they are comming out of the freezer straight into a bucket with some kmeta.

To answer your question clearly, put the entire uncored unpeeled pear in the freezer, untreated. When you thaw them and crush them add some sulfites to knock out any bad bugs and either press out the juice or put the crushed up pulp in a fermentation bag. WVMJ

Pear makes an excellant wine. Last time I ground mine and ran them thru the apple press. Used only juice to make the wine. Have a few bottles left, wish I had more. Supposed to get a bunch of pears this year. Hope that works out. Arne.

ground mine up. removed must after 1 day used champaign yeast. .
French and germans call it perry- I just call it good.

To answer your question clearly, put the entire uncored unpeeled pear in the freezer, untreated. When you thaw them and crush them add some sulfites to knock out any bad bugs and either press out the juice or put the crushed up pulp in a fermentation bag. WVMJ

Could you do the same with apples? Last year I cored the apples before I froze them....sure would be easier not to mess with that.....

i'm gonna mash 15lbs of pears tomorrow with sugar and cinnamon.... any suggestions cause this will be my first attempt

im hopefully gonna get mine sunday and freeze them....how long did it take yours to thaw and how did u add the kmeta when they did

Lol. They are still thawing. I put them in the bucket threw some kmeta at them and closed the lid, they might and I say might be thawed by Sunday morning.

Do you have any idea why you cored them? If you dont know why you cored them then dont do it or find out why. We have an apple crusher and press so we dont core anything. The only time we core apples is when we spiral slice them for drying, dont need to eat the seeds, but we leave the skins on. WVMJ

Could you do the same with apples? Last year I cored the apples before I froze them....sure would be easier not to mess with that.....

Do you have any idea why you cored them? If you dont know why you cored them then dont do it or find out why. We have an apple crusher and press so we dont core anything. The only time we core apples is when we spiral slice them for drying, dont need to eat the seeds, but we leave the skins on. WVMJ

I fermented the chopped apples....Being new to this wine making, I was uncertain about leaving the seeds in during fermentation. A press will be nice some year.... but for now, I don't have one and don't know of anyone who does have one.

Latest posts

Back