Pears

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you are going to have to rack it, keep the pulp and if you can put it in the frig, this should give you some more juice and this is going to take a couple of months. And keep workin at it, you know what to do, :slp

:) i know :slp

I just keep :slp

Dang it :slp

Didnt consider the fridge, but theres no room anyways :slp

:)

:) i know :slp

I just keep :slp

Dang it :slp

Didnt consider the fridge, but theres no room anyways :slp

:)
put them in several small bottles or quart canning jars! And another thing, what about making jelly out of the pulp?

Ah-ha! She's a thinker! ... I think we still have some empty quart jars..

We already have pear jelly though, and my mom wrinkles her nose at any of the pulp from my wine stuff... Basically, if its not over a year old already, shes got a wrinkled nose about it :)

I was told I should have my pears on Monday. My coworker said he and his wife were going to be picking them over the weekend. I'll post how much I get. Looking forward to giving this a try.

Well after 2 days the 67 lbs of pears are thawed out. Going to head to the cellar after lunch and start the press. I'll post an update as to initial sg and yield from the pears later.

Well some of the pears were still frozen after 2 1/2 days of thawing. SO far I have 4 gallons of Juice that has a sg of 1.042. Have the pears back in the container to thaw and will press on Tuesday.

Well some of the pears were still frozen after 2 1/2 days of thawing. SO far I have 4 gallons of Juice that has a sg of 1.042. Have the pears back in the container to thaw and will press on Tuesday.

Keep us updated I have 60lbs.cored and cubed in the freezer waiting on me to get a press built !!!

put them in several small bottles or quart canning jars! And another thing, what about making jelly out of the pulp?

Julie do you have a complete recipe you would share ???

Thanks

Well I finished pressing the pears. I ended with a total of 6 gallons of juice in my 7.9 gallon fermenter. Initial sg is at 1.080 right now. Pectic enzyme was added Sunday. Added energized and nutrient after pressing along with 2 tsp tannin, will pitch 1122 71B yeast later. Added 2 tbls acid blend. Ph was at 3.43. Will check acid and adjust post fermentation. Here's my helper from this am.

ForumRunner_20121106_074801.png

Freeze the pears, defrost the pears, don't add any water, add tannin, adjust acid and add enough sugar to get sg up to 1.080 - 1.090 and I use 1122 yeast.

Hi Julie!
Is there a difference if pears are frozen and then defrozen, instead of just starting the must with fresh pears from the tree? What would be the purpose of that?

Been stirring the pears twice a day, nice active fermention going on. Smells wonderful so far. No noticible off smells that were mentioned in other posts. I'll check the SG again this weekend and if it's around 1.00 I'll transfer into carboys. Given the lower starting sg, this should make a nice light late summer/early fall wine. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out so I know wether to get pears again next year.

Hi Julie!
Is there a difference if pears are frozen and then defrozen, instead of just starting the must with fresh pears from the tree? What would be the purpose of that?

When you freeze the pears this helps in the breakdown of the fruit which in turn will produce more juice.

Here's a picture of the pear wine a day after being transferred into the carboy. It's only about 57 degrees in the cellar now so I anticipate longer clearing times.

ForumRunner_20121116_082438.png

Checked the pear last night. Almost totally clear at this point. I'm thinking I'll rack off the lees in a week or so and stabilize then allow to further clear for another 2 months. Looking good so far. Need to do a taste soon.

I'll post up a current picture this weekend. It is looking good. Needs racked off the few remaining lees near the end of the month then I'll stabilize.

Been a while since I updated this. I racked off the pear and stabilized today. I had about an 1/4 bottle so I added 1/2 tsp of sugar. Showing great promise at an early age. I need to check ph and acid but it seems to be on where it is now. I have 5.5 gallons stuck in the corner for aging until early summer.

Looks like you all had some fun!

Please keep us posted on how it turns out - I'm dying to try a pear wine, but I'm a bit concerned that many people seem to think it's a bit too mellow on the taste...?

Back