Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, still stuck

This morning the air/lock was full of foam and a little liquid on the counter. Still smells okay, no foul odor. SpGr is still at 1.021. Looks like, out of 7 gallons of must, if we save it, I may get gallon of wine - "what a experience this has been". Thanks for all the help from everyone.
Semper Fi
Bud

Run it through cheese cloth, you will save most of your wine. You will still have some sediment but get rid of most of the big stuff.

It's not a loss yet, sure you will loose some but saving 5 gal is better than pouring it out.

im really surprised by what you have going on here, i started mine close to the time you started yours and mine is clearing out nicely, nothing crazy going on. you just dumped fruit right in primary correct? I used a couple of straining bags for mine, and i put the squeeze on them pretty good with no ill effect noticed yet.

Pear Night-mare

Right, I just dumped the pears in the bucket, they were peeled, cored, and sliced real thin. I think what I'll do from now on is, put a little 1/16th tsp/gal of k-meta in the freezer bag, or betteer yet, spread the fruit out and spray the k-meta (1/16 tsp/gal) on it and then freeze it, that way when it thaws, it will be protected----what you think?
Semper Fi
Bud

It seems like you don't understand what I've been saying--so what more can I tell you? I'm saying it again--the ferment is stuck because you didn't use enough meta during the long thaw process and now your ferment is stuck because of too much biological competition. I warned you in my initial instructions on this ferment to meta sufficiently. I'm getting frustrated because you don't seem to comprehend what I've been trying to say ALL along.

Go-ferm and fermaid K may get it going again--you might have to add yeast hulls too. I thought you were waiting for the delivery of the go-ferm and fermaid K--I told you to hold it over in a carboy until it arrives--then get it out into a vat again, dose and try to restart. There's no more I can do to help you if you aren't following instructions.

Access the Scott Labs book you found online--there is a whole dissertation there on stuck ferments and you can read it for yourself.

yeah turock is on to something there, i think i had the same issue with my banana sherry and had I read some more about i probably would have been able to make it take off again but im a lil to impatient :)

as for the thaw thing yes i would probably spary it on, possibly use some asorbic acid in the spray mixture as well to help slow the browning.

another thing i didint hard freeze mine i put em in the freezer for a day or less just enough to ice over a bit.

Latest posts

Back