Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the sg level is at 1.020 and the trail which I know doesn't matter cuz I didn't take a reading to begin with is below 0
thank you

I ended up just throwing that 1st batch out since I had all the ingrediants to make new.. not wanting to take chances. pitched the yeast on 8-28 with a starting sg of 1.090. left it do it's job by not checking on it but Ilistened in on it! lol
yesterdays sg was 1.050 and todays was 1.030 and I just checked it again and it's at 1.025. tomorrow it will have been fermenting for 7 days.Howwill I know it is ready for the 1st racking? With the 2nd fermintation you verify a reading of around 0.992 - 0.996at least 2 days in a row befor proceeding with the 2nd racking, is that correct? What I am asking is, is there an sg reading I should be looking for befor the 1st racking? Sorry for being such a pain in the butt!
Thanks for all the help!

peaches, I would go ahead and rack it to glassat around 1.010

ok I added the camdon, potasium sorbate and the clarifying agent but I just put the bunge back on do I put the airlock back on too?
thanks

ok thats what I thought but I wasn't sure cuz the escaping gas. I did however put it on since I wrote that last message lol I keep double quessing my work! and make it more difficult than it really is
thanks

Peaches,

I would degas if you haven't yet. It will help in clearing.

I did but I think I will go degas some more since the airlock was off for awhile

Yes, I'd love to hear about it - I hope to start a pear wine myself soon as soon as my steam juicer gets here. Also, my friend and I LOVE your wine label (and so do our cats).

Goodfella said:
Hey Waldo,

Any updates on your pear wine?

My Pear was bottled a couple of weeks ago goodfella..It turned out to be a pretty danged good one and hopefully will get better with age
Here is a picture of it with the peach I bottled at the same time

IMG_4060.jpg

my pear wine-my first wine I ever made. ok been bulk aging in carboy since sept 23 2009 and have been taste testing and adding sorbate andkmeta within this time. I will be bottleling january 19,2010. It taste great for a real mello wine the alchol by weight is 7.8% and alcohol by volume is 9.9% it no longer has the chemical taste to it that it previously had about 3 mos ago and it's crystal clear! I had my bro taste test it today so all and all I had removed about 2 glasses of wine out of it today-the carboy is a lil low and I don't want to add any more sweetner to it. It could aways use more body to it as I seen in the forum to add bananas for body but think I should leave well enough alone at this time, it's pretty good for my first wine and I made it all by scratch with the help of this forum of course! I have my bottles washed and had them sanitized too about a mo ago. I will indeed sanitize them again befor btlg. my question is what needs to be added prior to btling and how do I add this? to the carboy befor I btle? or per btle? your suggestions GREATLY appreciated!
and thanks again!

peaches, it sounds like you are good to go ahead and bottle. If it has been over a month or sosince you added any kmeta I would go ahead and add more before bottling. You don't need to add any additional sorbate to your wines once they have been stabilized. Some pictures of your Pear wine would be nice too.

I have the same problem if you are in the post reply mode for too long. Seems to only upload if you do it quickly. Get out of the post reply mode and then try again to at least upload the pics then add your text.

Latest posts

Back