pear wine batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
This my first post so bare with me:
I am going to make 3 gallons of pear wine and the reciept calls for 1 gallon
Do I tripple the additives including the yeast?
Thaks for any insite
Bill
smiley1.gif

No, the yeast should be just fine. Depending on the additives, I'd add 3 times the acid to balance it (however, taste should decide when almost finished), and I'd break up the nutrient in 3 phases, before ferm, 2nd day of ferm, and 4th day of fermentation! Breaking up the additions of nutrient makes for an earlier drinking wine. I'm not sure why, and I've yet to come up with a scientific reason. But by all reports, it works!

edit: So in other words: Triple the recipe, except for yeast.Edited by: Dean

Hi Dean:

I don't know if I sent a thank you note but thanks a bunch.

Nice to hear from B.C. I lived in Kamalops for a year in 1969

Living in Arizona now what a change.
will try it your way it sounds good to me

I got a post from Waldo so I will see what he has to say

Thanks again

The recipe looks good Bill..I think you will have you a mighty fine wine.

It might be too late, but I'm not sure I would triple the acid blend of your recipe. Early on in my experiences I've ruined excellent fruit and grape juices by blindly following a recipe. You should do an acid titration first to see where the must is and then adjust it to a TA of .65 (for white wines). FYI 18 grams of tartaric acid will raise the titratable acid of 5 gallons of must 0.10 percent.

Hi joppavineyard, I t sounds like you've been making wine for quite some time. Glad to have you and your knowledge aboard!

Latest posts

Back