Peaches Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you speak with experience there. Chuckle, chuckle- been there done that. Nothing like discovering you have hooked a posts wire as you turn and see a few posts lay down with vines on them!

yep and that leads to another suggestion.....affix a tool box to your tractor to hold tools and a few spare parts

I will indeed do that! always be prepared! And I plan on using the garden tracter since it has all the attachments I will need...mower,tiller etc I have to go out to the garage and take measurements the mower is the widest attachment so if I space the rows according to the width of the mower (because it exceeds the width of the tires) that should be suficient + an extra foot, foot an 1/2? And I don't mind learning from somebody elses misstakes! You two are cracking me up!
smiley36.gif

by the way here is just the pic of my label for my pear wine haven't decided writing on it yet

20090926_173137_3445170324_dd20.jpg

since you will be spraying w a garden tractor, you are likely to be close to the spray....please begin to think about the force of the spray coming out of the nozzle...hotting the floage and bouncing toward you...or the wind even a light one carrying some of it toward you......do a few run thru's w just water in the spray tanks...gets some miles under your belt doing that and work out the kinks of the equipment...and you also will be able to determine what speed you must travel at in order to apply teh proper amount of active ingredient

what would the difference be spraying with a yard tractor? Which would you prefer for a smaller vinyard such as mine will be.. I'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 rows @ about 1 or 2 hundredfeet to start. Haven't been outside to do measurements yet still trying to gather all the info possible. Having both yard tractor and garden tractor looken for best method. I will however keep the distance b/t the rows so I can switch to the other tractor if needed.
thanks for all your insight!

no enclosure in the cab area is a *possible* problem...for instance i have pointed my spray heads at a 45 degree angle going into the canopy ( not angled up or down) so that i can get right inside the canopy....the angle is towards the front as I drive...i know that in my case if my cab was not partially closed that w certain breezes i could get some drift into the seating area....

many spray set ups point at a 90 degree angle to the canopy....that would be fine in my view *only* if it was assisted by an air blast set up

if your droplet size is fairly fine then it needs to be blasted w good pressure into the canopy or else any breeze could carry it onto you...thats ok if you plan on wearing a chemical suit...if you do...send us all a picture :)

and make sure the spray heads are fairly close to the canopy....i know Rich has made his adjustable so that as the canopy comes out into the row he can withdraw the booms...point being you want the spray immediately on your vines w little chance of finding the ground...in my case, i hedge the vines and have fixed arms

like i said..run some trials jus w water and you will learn a lot....how much pressure...what speed you need...what obstacles are in the path that never crossed your mind..you would be suprised at the little things that show themselves

the last thing you want to be is 100 yards from the house finding out that you just coated yourself w something other than plain water

you may even wish to affix some plastic shield behind you on your tractor to keep drift from coming your way

another of the garden tracter yea it's pretty old but it will get her done I will have to come up with some kind of a shield
20090927_201507_100_0944_640x48.jpg

You have a good set of tools for doing your yardwork and vineyard.

I wouldn't get too hungup on shields for spraying. I spray early morning or evening only when the wind is calm. If I have to spray and the wind is breezing more than a couple miles per hour, I determine the wind direction and only spray if I can spray so the material moves away from me. If I need to, I spray all one direction to keep it moving away from me. Spray one way, go back to the other end without spraying and then spray the next row. Your few rows will be easy doing it that way. I also wear a Tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, respirator mask and hat. Also follow any clothing recommendations on the label, such as longsleeved shirt and rubber boots. It can get pretty warm all suited up. another reason to spray mornings and evenings.

appleman said:
I also wear a Tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, respirator mask and hat. Also follow any clothing recommendations on the label, such as longsleeved shirt and rubber boots. It can get pretty warm all suited up...

Man, I'd like to see a picture of THAT!
smiley36.gif

ok I will invest in a full haz mat outfit! and yes some pics of that I will do
smiley36.gif
we might have a sprayer unit out there in the garage somewhere I'll have to ask my bro but if not, could you recomend one to me
again thank you appleman for all your help!

the only issue that i have w spraying only all in one direction is time...it more than doubles your application time.....if your like me, time is always at a premium

Yep, time is a premium, but if it means getting a spray on or waiting, I put the spray on if I need it on at that time. I've seen too many times where I waited for better weather only to have it get worse for days.

I can't justify a sprayer cab. I figure I have so many pesticides in me by now, they act more as preservatives than anything!

it's been awhile since I've posted anything on my vineyard progress and I have a serious question! Which post to use? wooden post or the metal ones? pros and cons? cost efficient? we're still blanketed by snow here in NE Ohio But I'm itching to get started and prepared. The ole sayen rings true here "out like a lion in like a lamb" and we've just experienced the lion and not so patiently waiting for the lamb!
smiley2.gif
thanks I appreciate all the insite you have to offer!

Latest posts

Back