Peaches Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok new location for my vines. my bro warned me of clay right beneath the top soil,so I'm going with the west side although there are the neighbors tall trees they only block out some of the sun in the evening. And I have 2 blk walnut trees on the east side this all means less work too! no brush hogging the field cuz it's all grass on the west side not to mention the deer are farther away!
smiley36.gif
I'll run out tomorow and take some pics of my new location. In the mean time I want to purchase a kit of beaujolais my fav! Can anybody give me a recomendation of a kit that's good but won't break the bank?
thanks

question re: hardiness zone I know I'm in zone5 and I know I can't plant anything from zone 6 and above what about zone 4? just curious cuz I ran across a vine for zone 4.
thanks

I'm making pics smaller to try so be patient with me

new location of vinyard

20090919_094550_100_0926_320x20.jpg

20090919_095827_100_0927_320x20.jpg

20090919_100405_100_0928_320x20.jpg

20090919_101011_100_0929_320x20.jpg

the old grape vine

20090919_101623_100_0930_320x20.jpg

20090919_102126_100_0931_320x20.jpg

a candice vine I just planted last spring
I thought maybe if I made the picssmaller it would take less time but I was w r o n g
smiley18.gif

It is a pain uploading the pictures. They go slow. That's why I don't do a lot of them, it just takes too long. I use google Chrome to upload the pictures- it is about 10 times faster than doing it in Internet Exploder.

By the way, I like the new spot.

ok appleman since I have a new location for my vines and it is grass wouldn't applying roundup kill the future vines also? Or does it just kill exsisting grass only? (Not too familiar with lawn chemicals) I had planned on putting roundup on it, letting that kill the grassthen plowing in leaves as some extra mulch.Does that sound like a good idea? And having that all done befor winter hits. btw my pear wine is clearing nicely but doesn't have any sweetness to it at all. Is this something that only time will tell?
thanks

Since the grass is well established and nicely kept up, see if you can get a 3 foot wide tiller or one that can do that in a couple passes. If so, just apply the roundup in a 3 foot band where you want the rows to be. Roundup is a systemic contact herbicide. It only kills what it touches- but kills the whole plant because it moves down into the roots. It is not a residual spray, so won't hurt future grapes. It can even be applied during the growing season as long as you don't get spray drift on any growing part of the vine.

By keeping the grass in theaisles, you won't have to reseed the area.

ok! Thanks for the insight I really appeciate it! How far apart would you recomend the aisles be set at? I'm thinking 4 ft? I'm sure I have read how far you set yours apart but I am taking full advantage of your experience
smiley2.gif
thanks I can't wait to get started! I'm going back to read your post again!

You need to consider the size of your equipment you plan to use in the vineyard. Will you be using a farm tractor or a garden tractor for mowing, sprayng, etc. Yo don't want to plant too close and have to do things all by hand. My rows are set at nine feet apart and that is barely enough. I use a farm tractor that has the wheels set at 5 1/2 feet, plus the tire width. That all makes it almost 7 feet wide so I only have a foot of clearance on either side. If you aren't limited a lot by the size of it, you can go closer, but I still would not go closer than 6 feet at the least.

The rule of thumb that I have always heard is - Never make your rows any closer then the trellis system is high. But then you alo have to consider the type of trellis system you intend to use ( a GDC will make your rows a bit wider cause of the over hang ) and like Rich said - the size of your equipment. And if you are talking acres (eventually) doing it all by hand might become more of a chore then fun.

stupid question? some of my old grape vines that I pruned hard last fall are covered with what I can only describe as razor stubble. And this is my first time having pruned grape vines so I don't know what to expect.
please tell me this is normal and I'm just worrying for nothing
thanks

I'm no botanist but I'm thinkingit might be some sort of protection since it is new wood any insight will be highy appreciated
thanks

here is a pic hope you can see the hairlike coverage
20090926_105711_100_0932_640x48.jpg

20090926_110657_100_0933_640x48.jpg

you can't tell on this one as much

From what I can see with those, they look pretty much normal. Growth looks fine. This time of year they start darkening in color in preparation for winter. There are lots of tendrils and that's OK. I wouldn't worry about them.

i am not sure if this vineyard equipment point has been made, so forgive me because i have not been able to read all the posts....make sure you consider the necessary turning radius at the end of all your rows that will be necessary...and MAKE SURE that you factor in the equipment that your tractor will be carrying or towing such as sprayers..

a tight turning radius w a sprayer on board will just be *looking* to hit your endposts while you look forward down the row

Latest posts

Back