Peaches Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning this thread for peaches to tell us about her planned vineyard

I'm thinking about turning 1 or 2 acres into agrape trellislol and to think I just started with the hobby of making wine not even a month ago! OK so I'm addicted already but I've been working on getting the75 ft in size concord vines we have in working order and I have added a couple candice vines but the trellis is so old and elapidated, that I just want to tear them out. I just planted the candice last fall. So thier not fully established yet. and the acreage I plan on using has been a vege garden or field I should say. So it won't be a proplem of clearing the space, I also have bros and the equipment to work the ground up again for such. My question is what grapes should I plant? I'm in north eastern ohio and I will primarily be making cabernet sauvignon, and white zin or better yet could you refer me to some good books on best trellis and also would like some info on pruning. I've had these plans in back of my mind for over a year now so don't think I'm just jumping into everything at once. btw I do have an addictive personality though lol
thanks alot

Well I found a website to help answer your questions and get you started.

http://www.ohiowines.org/

Since I am Minnesota I can't say what grows wellwhere you are. However, you probably can't grow Cab Sauv. because info points to Zone 7. Cab Franc is listed under zone 6, which is the far southern part of the state and along Lake Erie. The rest ofthe state falls under Zone 5.

Here is a link to Iowa State Univeristy and varieties they have done testing on.

http://viticulture.hort.iastate.edu/cultivars/cultivars.html

If I would suggest a variety - it might be Norton/Cynthia grape. At one time it was called, The Cabernet of America. Or some of the new grapes from the Geneva research facility - like Coiret Noir or Traimentte (sp?) or even some of the varieties from the University of Minnesota - LaCresent, Marquette, Frontenac Gris or Frontenac (this one ripens better in zone 5w/ lower acidity) then in zone 4.

I have placed a link to 2 differentUSDA Hardiness Zone Maps. They differ a bit, but not to much.

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=OH

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I would recommend contacting a few of the local wineries by phone and ask them some questions, or better yet call them and ask if they can spare some time to meet w/ you at their vineyard and show you around. Then you can see what they are growing and ask them what grows well and what seems to cause them headache.

I hope this helps you out.

thanks r and appleman I was able to download the picture resizer and I played around with it a lil bit I'll get some pics of my rack I bought at home depot on clearance for 20 bucks!
smiley20.gif
the only thing is the shelves aren't high enough to put a upright carboy in but I'll just have my bro fix it. Maybe saw slots in it so that a carboy with an airlock will fit.And I've called a vineyard yesterday but realized they probly don't take calls on Sunday but I was able to leave a message. And not to just visit but I want to volunteer. Thanks again for the great advice and the links!

there is also a program i think is called VESTA from u of Mo....it is online....ask nh dennis about it...it looks very interesting

I did it I finally got a pic posted.. now to get some more posted! I'll do that tomorrow it's late now gotta get some sleep. thats that's my rack I got at home depot on sale for 20
smiley10.gif

Looks like the begining of a Wine Cellar !

look at all the lees at the bottom of that carboy! well if anyone knows how I could posibly make a slideshow of these pics I have I
20090911_204931_100_0895_640x48.jpg
different software such as kodak and adobe. Or just to post all the pics without having to make a different post every time. and my rack is almost in full use
thanks alot

You can upload your pictures to a photo hosting service such as photobucket and then add the links tothem here. You can also put more than one picture per post here although sometimes it is slow doing it. They need to be added one at a time. Once the first one is loaded, make sure the cursor is after the first picture and then add another one. I usually click the first picture once to highlight it, then puch the end key and then the enter key to move to a new line. Then you click the insert image button and add another.

the land where my future vinyard will be

looks like it's not going to happen till next year but that gives me time to get educated in it

It would be great if you could chop the grass and plow the sod under (killing first with roundup would be even better). That would allow the sod to break down before planting next year.

you mean chopping the grass down, then raking it, then applying roundup? Or do I just apply the roundup on the weeds befor hand? that will take alot of roundup lol and do you know where I would possibly order the vines from? I haven't volunteered yet at a winery so I have no idea where to get them from. And what about the trellis, which ones work well?
thanks

Don't get to far ahead w/ spraying and cutting and digging.

What type of spacing do you plan on using(ie..8x10, 6x10, 10x12, etc...)?
How many rows do you plan on installing?
How long are the rows going to be?

If you can answer the first 3 questions - the number of vines will be answered for you.
Because in the end you could end up not moewing, killing anddigging enough area up and then try to play catch-up for the other part of the area you need or you end up working up way to much ground and having to replant grass in an area you wouldn't of had to. No need to spend any more money then needed or having to do something more than once.

Just don't leap before you look - I mean you can always moew the whole thing down, but buy some wire flags and do some measuring. Cause once you set the posts it takes a whole lot of work to move them.

as far as where to get the vines - you could probably google it

Rudy she mentioned at the beginning of the thread that she is looking to do one or two acres of grapes. That is a lot and I agree research and planning needs to be done.

I mention mowing the grass. That is done in preparation for applying Roundup. You could mow the whole darn thing without doing any damage or comitting to any set size. The mowing makes the grass start greening up again, which is necessary for applying Roundup effectively.

You will need to decide what varieties you want to plant. I am assuming you want mostly hybrids for the cold hardiness. Don't overdo it to get started, you can always add more later. Planting vines is a big comittment- just like kids. You need to do more than plant and harvest. Read all the way through my Champlain Valley vineyard thread and you can get an idea of the amount of work needed to bring just an acre of grapes into full production.

As far as sources, if you want a rough idea of prices for planning check these out

www.rakgrape.com Double A Vineyards

http://www.nevinesupply.com/ Andy Farmer @ Northeastern Vine Supply

There are many more, but this will let you do some prliminary planning.

If you decide to plant one acre, then after mowing lay out the area- north south is generally better. It is also better to have fewer longer rows (within reason). It takes less trellis supplies to stretch the rows out. If you kill the grass this fall, then you can plow it and harrow it once or twice and it will let the sod break down over the winter. Then in the spring you can till it again and would be set to plant- unless you decide to put the trellis in first.

You have time to prepare and do it right the first time. Consider how much wine you want to have and what you will do with it. Figure roughly one gallon per vine with the hybrids. You can legally make 200 gallons per household, so you could supply roughly 3 or four households with just one acre of vines.

Yea I had already changed my mind on the acreage I decided 1/2 acre will keep me busy enough lol I planned on going out tomorow and getting it mowed and probly stakeing it out too. I had planned on making some calls tomorow. And you mentioned not to long, how long should the rows be kept at? And thank you for all your help. And I have started reading your thread, that's what got me going on this idea! lol And what is the ideal soil ph again? I'll be sure to mark it down this time! thanks for all your help!

appleman said:
Rudy she mentioned at the beginning of the thread that she is looking to do one or two acres of grapes.

Well, I didn't know if she had changed her mind on the size, and just wanted to stress the planning portion.

You can have the rows up to a few hundred feet using pretty standard stuff, like 12.5 guage high tensile wire, normal sized posts and 30 inch anchors. Gripples will keep it tensioned at that distance . Once you get over a few hundred feet, sometimes it's best to break the rows up a bit.

Soil pH for grapes is ideal about 6.2, but yes, that can vary somewhat also.

Latest posts

Back