Peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afireguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
started my peach wine nov 30th. Starting sg was 1.090 using champagn
yeast. It was slow the whole time got down to 1.034 and I added nutrients and engerizer and two lbs or so of sugar raising the sg to
1.056 now back down to 1.036 and racked it again and now its totally stalled out. Im about 4 inches low in the corboy. Should I add a stronger yielding yeast with spring water or just bottle it and go on?
Thanks,
Mark

Just out of curiosity, why did you add two more pounds of sugar? With a peach wine you don't want high ABV- it masks the flavors. The highalcohol has probably killed the yeast. Try Lalvin 1118 yeast as a starter(mixed with water to get going first) Do a search on yeast starter and you should find info on how. Next time if you start with 1.090, that is as much sugar as you will need. If you want to sweeten it a little after, do it when fermentation is done and you have stabilized with K-Meta and K-Sorbate. When in doubt about something, ask here and somebody will get right back to you.

I hope you can get it going again or it is going to be VERY sweet.

Applemans right, it's going to be hot, or it's going to be sweet...............

or.............

It's going to be twice as much...........
smiley36.gif

I'm assuming you used frozen concentrate, if not, get a couple of them anyways. Based on what you have posted, you are just a little under 12% ABV right now. If it can finish dry it will be just under 17% ABV which is going to be to hot for peach. If you have a gallon batch, increase it to 2 gallons with 8 can of concentrate and the rest water. Then add EC-1118 and it should restart with no problems.

OR...........................

Start a separate 1 gallon batch with 8 can of concentrate and the rest water. You should have an SG of about 1.050 to 1.055, which will give you (if finishes dry) an ABV of 8%, then blend the two together.

Hehe, My math must be off, I had it at 14% when it zeroed out. But I was wondering why it taste like a mild peach lighter fluid
smiley20.gif
. At any rate, It stalled out orginally at 1.056and I was bored so I drove out to see George and bought several kinds of yeast, nutrients, enzymes and engizers. Added engiizers and nutrerits and sugar to try to get it going again.
I have room for a little fluid in the corboy 4 or 5 inches in this 6 gal batch.
George was out of 1118 but I bought lalvin 212 or something else that is supposed to yield 18% and about three of everything in his little refridge.
So you guys are saying to add peach juice (wherever you get it) and thensome super yeast and let her go for a while longer?... p.s. I also bought some peach flavoring in a bottle from George should I also add this?....Thanks
Mark, Afireguy
smiley4.gif

You can get Welches, White Grape Peach flavored concentrate in the frozen juice section of your grocery store.

Do Not add the flavoring at this point, that goes in about a day before bottling.

17% ? I refer to that as Lightweight Chic Wine......give me some of Joan's 23%......cause, I drink for the alcohol, not the flavor
smiley36.gif

jobe05 said:
You can get Welches, White Grape Peach flavored concentrate in the frozen juice section of your grocery store.

Do Not add the flavoring at this point, that goes in about a day before bottling.

I made 5 gallons out of the Welches White Grape and Peach and it was great. I was very impressed with it.

OK Joan, what was this 23% wine you made. You've been holding out on us!

Hoss, how about giving us some input for the food and wine section. What pairing goes with Joan's "Kick Butt" wine?

she said she had made jet fuel.....unexpectedly. I think she even considered pouring it out at one point. Well, high alcohol is right down my ally, so to speak. I like my wine with a bite, and maybe just a whiff of peach, or just a slight flavor, but if I want to taste peach, I'll just go to the produce section and get me a couple....so, I convinced her to send me a bottle of it. It was great. I would gladly accept another one should it arrive my way. To me, less than 15%,....I'll just have a Dr. Pepper, thank you.

It was an accident, I tell ya!!! It was my first scratch wine. Dumb me... I followed the directions!!! Unfortunately that's what I thought I was supposed to do! Apparently the peaches were waaaay sweeter than the recipe figured. When I went to check the SG, the hydrometer wouldn't even stay in the must! I watered it down as much as I could and still fit in the primary. It was FULL! It's actually not 23%. It's 24%! Even stranger, I used Cotes de Blanc so it should never have finished fermenting.

Hoss is right. I was all set to pour 7 gallons of it down the drain. I tasted it at about 11 months and it wasn't that bad. I didn't want to waste the corks so I put as much as I could into big bottles. I didn't even bother to print labels for it or put shrink caps on them.

I gave a local wine-lover friend several bottles of it just to get rid of it! (I told him he would need to sign a release form before he took possession.
smiley17.gif
) It turns out is was actually good. His mother-in-law said it was the best wine she's ever had and wants more!
smiley3.gif
A mutual friend of Hoss' and mine got 2 bottles. (Hoss is jealous!) She doesn't even like wine! She loved it and is now a wine drinker! She's been saving the second bottle to have at a party during the Alabama-Auburn game on the 24th.

I wasn't going to post about it here but maybe it is a good thing I did. Maybe others won't do the same thing I did. Or maybe they will and end up with an extra stout batch of peach wine!
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Joan

Latest posts

Back