peach wine and yeast.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
I started a batch of my first peach wine. 65 lbs. +/- . 1/3 canners from the orchard and 2/3 small culls that ripened on my table. total peaches halved and pitted about 6 gallons. topped with water to around 10 gallons. I realize his will be a little thin probably but I'm ok with that. I hope to have between 7-8 gallons after removing the gross lees.
I used 1 package of lavlin 71 b1112. Will this be enough yeast? should I add another. I used no nutrient or energizer yet. It is fermenting like crazy and warm. 78f
I have added a total of 7 lbs. sugar.
I mixed the first 3 gallons of must and 3 lbs of sugar and had an sg of 1.08
the next day. then I added another 3 gallons of must. on the 4th day I added another 3 gallons of must and 1 gallon simple syrup which contained 4 lbs sugar.
Each batch of must received kmeta and Pectic enzyme. for a day before adding to the first batch. It has been punched down once or more daily.
I'm sure I could have done lots of things different but right know my biggest concern is yeast quantity. O course any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

I think the packets are good for up to only 5 gallons. 6-10 gallons would need a second.

If it is fermenting, then it should be okay. You generally want to add more yeast to larger batches to reduce the time the yeast need to multiply and take over the must. It shouldn't hurt to add more yeast if you're concerned about it, however.

Latest posts

Back