peach harvest (future wine)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryangws

Reaction score
so today my peach tree had a limb break last night with a huge amount of peaches on. they still are firm and not quite ripe.

harvest early and let ripen in a paper bag or

wait even though the limb is broken.

0714091819.jpg

0714091818.jpg

Wow, thats a good amount of fruit there. I am by far not the person to give advice on this as my thumb is brown but had to jump in and say wow!!!!!!

Pick them and do the brown bag thingeee.

Leaving it on will make a nice meal for the animals.

Love peach wine. Since you have so much use 30# for 6 gal and save some for a f-pac.

thanks...i thought i wasnt going to have enough this year to do one, since last year i only got a dozen or so.

i should have 30# no prob

question: should i put them through a juicer? grape press? or just soak them in water and enzime?

Unless you have a steamer juicer I would pit them and slice them. Put them in 2 paint straining bags in 2 fermenting buckets.
Enough water to 6 gal Split in the buckets
Sugar to 1.085
Pectic enzyme
6 tsp acid blend
Let it soak for 24-36 hours before adding yeast ( I use Cote des Blancs)
Later plan on a f-pac and back sweeten

Greetings, all. I was going to post this in a new thread, but a browser glitch ate my post (or I fat-fingered something, which is possible, since that's how I ended up with the username of jpsp instead of jsps). My question probably goes better here anyway.

I did a lot of searching and reading (and learned a lot), and opinion seemed divided on how long to leave the strainer bags of peach in the must. It also seemed divided on whether or not to include the peels in the must, so I put the peels (including a little pulp, since I peeled hastily) in a separate bag from the rest of the pitted fruit.

How long should I leave the fruit in? Should I pull the peels out of the must earlier?

Wash the peaches and pit and slice, skin and all.

Make sure you add pectic enzyme before adding and yeast. Follow above for recipe. I usually leave the pulp intill the gravity is around 1.025 then remove.

Tepe, thanks for the reply. I'll plan to pull the pulp out then.

(Thanks also to whichever administrator fixed my username.
smiley1.gif
)

got 20# washed sliced and in the bucket

dont have a straining bag big enough. can i strain it later?

the recipe on this site says 2.5# per gallon, which for 20# is 8 gal
which is right 30# for 5gal or 20# for 8gal.

i have another 10-15# still to ripen up. thinking of using that for an fpack.

ok so 20-21# of peaches
5# of sugar
5 tsp pectic enzyme
(5) 1/4 tsp tannin
7 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp meta (decided to use instead of campden tablets this time)

all in a bucket with water filled up to 5.25 gallons (i will have to strain it later)

how does this look?
do i need more sugar (recipe calles for 2# per galon)?
i will measure the Sg tomorrow

Looks good so far to me. The sg will tell you if you need more sugar.....

Did you take the stones out? Leaving them on the skins is good too for more color/flavor.

I hope to find a good deal on peaches this season. I'd like to give it another shot.

ryangws said:
got 20# washed sliced and in the bucket

dont have a straining bag big enough. can i strain it later?

the recipe on this site says 2.5# per gallon, which for 20# is 8 gal
which is right 30# for 5gal or 20# for 8gal.

i have another 10-15# still to ripen up. thinking of using that for an fpack.
20# would be OK for a 5 gallon batch. I don't know why the recipe only calls for 2.5# per gallon. I use 5-6# per gallon
You will need to split the must in 2 primaries as the fruit will be to much for one bucket.I would suggest to go to any paint store and get a 5 gallon mesh paint strainer bag for the fruit.

Last Sunday I got 1 1/2 bushels ( approx 60#'s)of FREE peaches.

ok the liquid is really thick, its all in one bucket...ill seperate it tonight as i have two buckets empty . it only took 2.5 gal of water should i add more if i split it up and add more sugar?

the SG is between 1.070 and 1.080...hard to tell unless i filter the juice before i measure...so im going to add a little sugar to get it up past 1.085

thanks, stones out, skin on.

I hope you brought the water to 5 gallons before adding the peaches. Otherwise you be lucky to get 2.5 gal

hense the reason for two buckets

its at the 6 gal mark after i added the sugar...ill have to add more sugar and water and split it into two buckets....

thanks for all the help

ok, so both buckets read 1.085 and have been in the buckets for 2 days

1) do i split one package or use two?

the second harvest of peaches are ready to be used for the Fpack

2) should i cut them up and freeze them for later or make it now and store it for later
3) being my first homemade f-pack, can someone post a recipe/method in detail? thanks

ryangws said:
ok, so both buckets read 1.085 and have been in the buckets for 2 days

1) do i add the yeast with the peach pulp bags in the buckets?
2) do i split one package or use two?
3) when do i take the pulp out?

the second harvest of peaches are ready to be used for the Fpack
4) should i cut them up and freeze them for later or make it now and store it for later
5) being my first homemade f-pack, can someone post a recipe/method in detail? thanks
1 Yes
2 I would use 2 packets
3 I take mine out around 1.015
4 Freez them and make later
5 Add 20-30% of what used in the primary in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac.
Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent.
You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then backsweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

tepe said:
5 Add 20-30% of what used in the primary in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac.</font>
Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent.</font>
You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then backsweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.</font>

so how much water, just enough to cover the fruit?

Back