Peach Bumper Crop (PA)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually kind of happy they are not perfectly ripe yet, gives me a little time to work and get some canned. I am still installing shelves and had a slowdown with my accident. I have to get the wine room ready fast, though.

Yeah a freezer for the ripe ones and time to ripen for the 'greener' ones should buy you a little time. Oh and I really like to let them get really soft before cutting them up.

Good luck to all of you and I am offically seriously jealous but I'll have to drown my sorrows with what I have.... :d

When I've bought the bruised and over-ripe peaches locally I go ahead and destone/slice and freeze the ones already ripe and just let the other sit out until the get soft. AND even the moldy spots just need to be cut off so Stones, Hard Green parts, and moldy spot are all that I lose. Last time I think I lost less than 4 lbs out of a full bushel of peaches. And again I usually get an excellent wine with 6-7 lbs of fruit per gallon, but; have to expect that if I start with 4.75 gallons I should end up with 3 gallons of finished wine.

So if you start with 300 lbs of destoned peaches you should end up with a little over 40 gallons of wine. Of course so much depends on the weight lost in prep and the lees lost. I really like to keep those skins in the mix - think the give the wine a bit more color that way, not to mention flavor and aroma.

Making me want to go chill a bottle of my peach wine for this evening.

I think we were both considering no water. Not sure if that is a good idea or not but I would like to try it. You never ad water with grapes but that may be a different animal.

I'm being told the peaches were picked in order to have them shipped and they are not fully ripe so they will have to sit for a while, this was a little disappointing. It appears peaches do continue to ripen once they are picked. Once they soften a bit my plan was to destone them and put them in the chest freezer for a week or so. This will give me time to finalize my yeast selections.

Freezing is very helpful with peach (in my experience). It really helps with softening and juice extraction. But yes, they do continue to ripen after picking - although in their 34 degree cooler, I'm not sure how much.

I think we were both considering no water. Not sure if that is a good idea or not but I would like to try it. You never ad water with grapes but that may be a different animal.

Yeah, with peaches I think you are asking for a real challenge in getting measurements, clearing etc., if you go no water at all.. Not that you shouldn't do it but hey, maybe two batches one "No Water Added" and one with between 6-7 lbs of peaches/ gallon. I've done the latter two or three times now. (Would have done more but we've had no local peaches twice in the last 4 years, a real bummer.)

Yeah, with peaches I think you are asking for a real challenge in getting measurements, clearing etc., if you go no water at all.. Not that you shouldn't do it but hey, maybe two batches one "No Water Added" and one with between 6-7 lbs of peaches/ gallon. I've done the latter two or three times now. (Would have done more but we've had no local peaches twice in the last 4 years, a real bummer.)
I thought about doing it both ways.

I've been using KV1116 but I'm switching to SN9 for a few batches to see how it works. I've had stalled ferments with KV1116 a few times now. Probably my fault but SN9 Is supposed to be a good fruit wine yeast and for difficult ferments too.

I just finished my bench trials for the back sweetening. It fermented to .994 and I back sweetened 1/2 gallon jugs with Wine Conditioner to 1.002, 1.006 and 1.010. I knew the flavor would be brought out with the back sweetening but I had no idea it would also bring out the nose. The .010 has the most wonderful nose but a little too sweet tasting for my liking so I may try 1.008 because the 1.006 just didn't have the nose.

I have a question about the Wine Conditioner. The package sat "up to 125 ml per 5 gallons, but to get to 1.010 it's going to take (per FermCalc) ~745 ml. I can't see why they would cap it at 125 ml, any thoughts.

Also, I put an air lock on the jugs and it doesn't appear there is any refermentation going on so I can only assume the amount of sorbate in the conditioner is enough to prevent it.

Latest posts

Back