Patience!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to WMT!

I think it's a rite of passage! It helps to make more so you have something to keep your mind off of it while it's aging.

Look at the Skeeter Pee and Dragonblood threads for quick drinkers. I adapted the 5 gallon recipes to 6 gallons and actually started with half batches since I have 3 gallon carboys and I didn't want to make full batches of those until I had tried them.

Welcome to WMT!

I think it's a rite of passage! It helps to make more so you have something to keep your mind off of it while it's aging.

Look at the Skeeter Pee and Dragonblood threads for quick drinkers. I adapted the 5 gallon recipes to 6 gallons and actually started with half batches since I have 3 gallon carboys and I didn't want to make full batches of those until I had tried them.
Thank you!!!

I am now itching ro start another batch! First lot was Rose which I don't usually drink and I only really purchased on a whim, which is why I think I haven't tried it yet. I normally opt for a good chardonnay so that will be my next batch. I do have to be careful as I don't have a huge amount of room to store buckets so I think I may next purchase some carboys. I definitely have the wine bug now though!

Thanks for the advice!

I definitely recommend getting carboys for aging. I rarely bottle kit wines on the kit schedule - I generally age for at least 3 additional months under airlock in a carboy. Then when I go to bottle, I rack off any sediment back into one of my primary fermenter buckets and bottle from there. My first few batches, I didn't do that, and I noticed sediment in the bottles eventually, even if they looked clear at bottling time.

I definitely recommend getting carboys for aging. I rarely bottle kit wines on the kit schedule - I generally age for at least 3 additional months under airlock in a carboy. Then when I go to bottle, I rack off any sediment back into one of my primary fermenter buckets and bottle from there. My first few batches, I didn't do that, and I noticed sediment in the bottles eventually, even if they looked clear at bottling time.
Ahh, yes I have noticed the smallest amount in the bottom of 2 out of 30 bottles so I just thought maybe I had picked up a wee bit of sediment in them so have put them to one side for personal drinking. I have so much to learn about wine making! I have read some posts and I'm lost 5 words in! šŸ¤£ I'm guessing it will just take time to pick up. I'm so glad I found this site though, it's been a real help for a newbie šŸ˜Š

So I've bottled my first wine ever. Corked it, made it look fancy shmancy and put it all away for the next 2 or 3 weeks but.... I have no patience and really want to try it šŸ¤£ is it just me or does everybody get like this with their first time?
Yes šŸ˜ƒ

I didnā€™t start to develop patience until I had four or five batches under my belt. Making skeeter pee and apple wine helped. Both are pretty quick drinkers

Welcome to WMT! Andā€¦ absolutely. I second Joni and making SP and DB. They will also help you become more comfortable with process, sanitizing, measuring, troubleshootingā€¦ and confidence in what youā€™re doing. Plusā€¦ in a few months, quick drinkers. Congrats!

So I've bottled my first wine ever. Corked it, made it look fancy shmancy and put it all away for the next 2 or 3 weeks but.... I have no patience and really want to try it šŸ¤£ is it just me or does everybody get like this with their first time?
You're absotively freaking normal.

I'm going to advise counter to most, and suggest you open a bottle each month. Each time, write down your impressions and put that note away. After a year, read the notes, first to last. This will teach you to age your wine, and you'll be teaching yourself.

Patience, or lack of it, was torture for me and we all empathize with you.

Once you get the lingo down and the procedure you'll find that wine making isn't complicated. You'll do fine!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm hoping so too, as I think it will become a big passion of mine now I have the bug for it. I'm sure I will want to start making it from scratch at some point too... I like rhe sound of Skeeter Pee so will be looking for a recipe for that I think, since it's a quick drinker šŸ˜Š

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm hoping so too, as I think it will become a big passion of mine now I have the bug for it. I'm sure I will want to start making it from scratch at some point too... I like rhe sound of Skeeter Pee so will be looking for a recipe for that I think, since it's a quick drinker šŸ˜Š
You're welcome!
Skeeter Pee and/or Dragons Blood would be good options to try soon. Check past posts - there are many simple tweaks to make them taste even better.

You're welcome!
Skeeter Pee and/or Dragons Blood would be good options to try soon. Check past posts - there are many simple tweaks to make them taste even better.
I most definitely will.. I absolutely love lemon! Such a wee versatile fruit! Is it an easy make @BigDaveK ?

When I first started making wine I got into the habit of putting two bottles aside of every batch. Before I knew it I was trying wines that were five years old and I didnā€™t even miss them. Out of sight out of mind.
Well hopefully I'll get to that stage sooner rather than later... I have 30 bottles stored and I have still purchased wine from a store so i don't have to try the new bottles stuff šŸ˜…

Brilliant, thank you! I'll take a wee look. Would be nice to have something ro drink now while the othe stuff is away!

Thanks for the link! šŸ˜Š

Latest posts

Back