WineXpert Past expiration?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
Hi All- remember me? I had to leave for a while, had a lot of stuff happening at home. But I'm back :)

So last year I bought Green apple reisling, which I had intended to make right away. But then stuff happened. The date on the box says May 2007. Is it still okay to make?

I would still go ahead and make it, possibly pick up a new package of yeast to replace the one that came in the kit. Why replace the yeast, it is the yeast thatturns the juice to wine/alcohol, you want the yeast to work so purchase a new package. What do you have too loose?Warrenty covers faults in the kit not past expiration date.

JC Edited by: jcnoren

Thanks! Where do you find the expiration date on the kit? I'm pretty sure that May 2007 was the date it was packed or something like that, since I bought the kit around August.

ETA: I found my answer
smiley2.gif
Thanks!Edited by: Lmcirig

Or you could just make a starter with the yeast to know if its good and be ready with the rest of the kit if the yeast is good. If not go get a new package of yeast and start then.

I had a WE Port kit I let sit around and it expired. I made it up with no issue. I did like Wade suggested and made a starter with the yeast.It fermented fine. If you have a LHBS you could just pick up a new packet of yeast.One other way to look at it is you already bought and paid for it. Make it up. If it turns out great, fantastic. If not you can say at least you tried. I am sure you will be fine though. If the juice looks good, smells good and tastes good, chances are it is still good.

wade said:
Or you could just make a starter with the yeast to know if its good and be ready with the rest of the kit if the yeast is good. If not go get a new package of yeast and start then.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by make a starter?? I don't understand that.

I called Winexpert. They explained what their #'s meant on the box. They suggest to use the kit within a year of being packed, but you can use it up to 2 years. My kit is 13 months old, so I'm going to go ahead with it.
smiley1.gif

Lmcirig said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by make a starter?? I don't understand that.

I will just quote the manufacturer (Lavin)on this one.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=650 align=center><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle ="title1">

Importance of rehydrating yeast
...................................... </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
How important is it to rehydrate the yeast before adding it to the fermenter?
Very important! Extensive research shows that the yeast cell wall is very fragile during the first few minutes of rehydration. Some of the components of the yeast are going from a dry crystalline form to a gel like state and can go through this transformation successfully if rehydrated properly (refer to our 3 easy steps rehydration protocol). With rehydration water at lower temperatures the transformation from crystalline to gel is less successful, the cell wall becomes porous and leaches out vital parts of its insides. Rehydration in 60°F water can result in a loss of 60% of the yeast viability.
Rehydration in distilled or deionized water is lethal to the yeast. The cell walls require the presence of some minerals, sodium, calcium, magnesium and or potassium, during rehydration. Tap water at 250 ppm hardness is optimum. Most tap water has enough hardness to do the job. The presence of 1/2% yeast extract, yeast hulls, autolyzed yeast or peptone in the rehydration water will give the yeast an added boost that will get it through its lag phase quicker. After the yeast cell wall has been reconstituted, the yeast returns to its normal ability to be selective.
Most fermentations should start with an inoculation of 3 - 4 million viable yeast cells per milliliter of must. A normal healthy fermentation will reach the stationary phase with a cell population up to 100 - 150 million viable yeast cells per milliliter. Because of this significant increase in biomass, it is critical that the active dried yeast gets off to a good start. Winemakers that carefully rehydrate their active dried yeast are taking a key preventative step to avoiding stuck and sluggish fermentations. Remember to use only clean 104°F tap water and please refer to our Easy 3 Steps Protocol for more information.

Source: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/importance_rehydration.asp</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

How do you do it?

Dissolve the dry yeast in 50mL (2oz) of warm NOT HOT water (40°- 43°C / 104°-109°F). Let stand 15minutes without stirring, then stir well to suspend all the yeast. Add to previously sulfited must. (The yeast should not be kept in the rehydration medium longer than recommended.)

<DIV align=center>
mode_emploi_web.gif

Source: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

Edited by: smurfe

Back