Oxy-clean and wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ask them if you can have their empties . The bottles are the same that way and makes bottles look better

It gets mentioned all the time but let me say it as a lead item. You will not find a better way of getting labels off and cleaning inside of bottles than oxy-clean. Now I did use my Dads Carb boil-out once and did a better job but cost and the chemicals are sorta overwhelming. That and it can piss off a Father fast as hell. So if your new, go get oxyclean. I buy the cheaper generic stuff and it works fine too.

I have been using a combination of sodium percarbonate (oxiclean) and tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) in a two-to-one ratio. This does an excellent job at getting everything clean and getting labels off.

As far as any slick feeling that is left, a quick dip in StarSan takes that right off and sanitizes at the same time.

I have a 3 gallon bucket that I only put 1 to 1 1/2 scoops in. The bucket holds about 7-8 bottles. I leave them in there for 30 min. for the easier removing ones and up to an hour or two for the harder ones. I just put warm/hot water in the bottles when delabeling, I don't put the oxy solution inside the bottle.

I have found if you are getting a scum with the oxyclean, you are using too much of it. In a 5 gal. carboy, Iuse about 2 tsp. you still get plenty of foaming action and wind up without the scum. I will check on the size of spoon I use and post back. Arne.

I use very little of the oxiclean and the bottles come out sparkling. I do use a drill for the inside with oxiclean. I leave the bottles in over 24 hours.

Yep, just checked, the measuring spoon I use is a tsp. Since going with less havn't had any probs. with the white film forming. Arne. The power brush on the inside sounds like a good idea, Os.

So by using the smaller amount does that stop the "ring burn" problem where you get a ring on the outside of the bottle that you can't get rid of?

Thanks for the replies! I've just started using Oxyclean and the first couple of times I used about a tablespoon and a half to each gallon of water. The labels were already off and the bottles had been rinsed right after they were emptied. So I didn't soak them - just filled them with the solution, let it sit there maybe 5 minutes, gave them a quick wash with the bottle brush and rinsed them 4 times. I went through all that rinsing because the ratio I used produced an awful lot of sudsing. Guess I'll cut down on the Oxy and see how it works.

So by using the smaller amount does that stop the "ring burn" problem where you get a ring on the outside of the bottle that you can't get rid of?

Havn't had the problem since i cut back on the amount of oxyclean used. Can leave them in til the water gets cold and no problems. Before if I waited too long they would get that ring burn and it was a bear to try and get rid of. Arne.

Latest posts

Back