Oxy-clean and wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
It gets mentioned all the time but let me say it as a lead item. You will not find a better way of getting labels off and cleaning inside of bottles than oxy-clean. Now I did use my Dads Carb boil-out once and did a better job but cost and the chemicals are sorta overwhelming. That and it can piss off a Father fast as hell. So if your new, go get oxyclean. I buy the cheaper generic stuff and it works fine too.

I use it too, but a new thing I've found is when rinsing the bottle with hot water, let it sit for a few minutes and also soak the label for a minute or so, and most of them come off pretty clean with just a little bit of rubbing.
Actually seems to work a lot better than the 24 hour soak, and I'm not a fan of that chore.

I absolutely agree -- I "discovered" that last night (after reading a few posts that said Oxy-Clean was OK to use) and was going to post about it today -- you beat me to it! I put 2 scoops in a kitchen sink full of hot water. After about 20 - 30 minutes, the labels came right off, a little bit of rubbing and the bottles were completely clean.

Also -- if you need a little extra muscle (example: Mirassou bottles have a plastic sticker that is tough to get off), some dry Oxy-Clean on a damp sponge is a good abrasive.

Last edited:
Follow Up Question

Question: How much more cleaning do you need after the OxyClean? I have some "One Step" cleaner I got from my HBS -- do I still need to use that or can I just rinse with K-Meta and be done?

I run them yhough the dishwasher after I oxy clean the with K met in washer and thats all I do

Question: How much more cleaning do you need after the OxyClean? I have some "One Step" cleaner I got from my HBS -- do I still need to use that or can I just rinse with K-Meta and be done?

K-meta before bottling and you should be good.

Last edited:
Oxy-clean is great, but if you leave the bottles in it too long, they can have a film form on them, which can be a challenge to clean.

Just don't leave the bottles in longer than necessary.

Ya I had the same problem with the film on them when I only soaked them for 30 min I wont ever use it again because I could not get the film off the inside of the bottles had to toss them out

Oxy-clean is great, but if you leave the bottles in it too long, they can have a film form on them, which can be a challenge to clean.

Just don't leave the bottles in longer than necessary.

This is the reason I don't use it to clean the inside of my bottles. I stand the bottles up and fill em with hot water then fill the sink with hot water to an inch or two above the label. I add about three scoops of oxclean.

LOL, your right Andy, and counting the days till the next time you have to add k-meta to the wine. Oxy-clean, I just started to use it a few weeks ago, and its great for me.

I use the oxyclean when I want to clean a bottle without meta (such as a cleaning a carboy that I am pressing still-fermenting red into). As for getting labels off, I just soak the bottles for a couple hours in a bucket and then use a razor scraper. They come right off easily. I have a 6 gallon bucket in the cellar. It nicely holds 7-8 bottles. I just put bottles in it as I drink the wine. When it fills with bottles, I fill it with water, scrape the labels, stash the bottles and start again.

What I would really like to find is a source for new stelvin caps so I could use stelvin bottles and new caps. Corks are going the way of the do do bird I think!

+labels

I do not use oxy but make my own labels with printer paper then use glue sitck.
warm runing water the lables come off in 15 sec no scrubing
Joseph

Joe I was talking about taking off labels from recycled bottles (commercialLabels). My labels come off way to easy sometimes

Latest posts

Back