Oxidization?!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn

Reaction score
My first two wine kits turned out great and bottling went smoothly and thanks to some help I think the first batches were bottled just fine my concern is with wine 3 that just got moved into the carboy, looks like we did not place enough water in, it says not to add water to top off, I have a few bottles of wine should I add them or will this be okay?
(I should point out the California red is from the one still in the primary this is a niagra mist wine... )
I added a bottle to it (or about 3 quarters of one, seems high enough now i think...

wine.jpg

Last edited:
My first two wine kits turned out great and bottling went smoothly today but I think I may have caused oxidization, instead of 2 fingers between the cork I have 3 on all my bottles. Is there a way to now minimize the potential oxidization i.e. drink them young or something?

I know some winemakers that will fill up their wines to the bottom of the neck - appears to be 3 fingers
I personally will only have a fingers gap between cork and the wine.

As long as you added sulfite - I would imagine you will be ok

I to keep wine 1/2 to 3/4" from bottom of cork. You have two options. 1. Open them all up and use one bottle to top the others up or 2. is leave them as they are and drink in the next 12-24 months.

I would opt for #2. If you open every bottle up your exposing all if the bottles to oxygen again. Enjoy your wine as it is!

Thanks guys I feel better now. They are right at the bottom of the neck maybe a little higher on most, I thought about it a bit and its probably just over two man fingers lol
Thanks for making the wine newb feel better! Its our first batch...

Latest posts

Back